Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Facial Liner/FFM Cushion Questions
Facial Liner/FFM Cushion Questions
Well, it's now been over a month of cpap and it's been pretty successful treatment-wise; feeling better and better.

A couple questions:

1. About how long, with "normal" everyday use does the cushion last on a Quattro FFM? Mine still seems ok, no real issues with leakage yet.

2. Was hoping to get some insight on anyone's experience with a facial liner. I've been using the Gekko nose pad but honestly, it is fairly annoying. Thinking of switching to a liner depending on feedback.
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Facial Liner/FFM Cushion Questions
I did not have much luck with the Gekko pad. I do like the Remzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz liners and the Pad-a-cheek. The primary benefit of the Gekko though is to protect the bridge of your nose because sometimes the Quattro can be a bit harsh in that area.
Post Reply Post Reply
Question

Is your stabilizer adjustment on the mask cranked all the way down to 0?

I am currently pushing 3 months on my first Mirage Quattro cushions and I do not see any problems yet.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife helped me with pads for the cheek area (straps) and also around the back of my neck, which would get rather raw after a while (I tend to sweat while I sleep, even in the dead of winter). She used a piece of heavy felt for the neck -- stitched it right to the head gear -- and that broadened the strap to double it's normal size and also added rigidity so it doesn't curl up and bite in. For the sides of my face, cheek areas, she simply wrapped with a couple of pieces of fleece left over from another project and stitched them into place. HUGE improvement of the head gear that way!

She also made me a hose cover from fleece that slips over the hose and makes it soft and quiet while moving around at night. It also helps to insulate the hose to our rather cool bedroom temps during the winter months (I had some rainout problems). Our bedroom is typically in the 55-60 degree range over winter so that helps. We heat with wood and the bedroom doesn't get much air flow, but it is fine for sleeping.

I've also started using the Remzzzz pads and I really like them. I'm hooked after just a few nights (well, about 2 weeks worth now). They are sort of a PITA to get in place and I spend a bit of time tugging on the edges to get them in place, but the bridge of my nose is healing up from using them. I tend to only change the silicone face mask about once every 6 months when it gets notably crushed and yellowed. That is far longer than most people wait before changing them, but I get a long life and good service by using PLANET all natural soap for cleaning (with a white vinegar rinse). The soap does not attack the silicone and it really does a good -- and hypoallergenic -- job of cleaning mask parts!

It would be rather easy to make the pads, as they appear to just be light t-shirt material cut out in the shape that works to line the mask. I'll wash and iron the current batch and re-use them a few more times (already using each twice before washing unless I mess them up). I've also found that the headgear itself requires adjustment as it ages -- it tends to stretch and loose its elasticity after a while, and it also needs adjustment when replacing the silicone mask. It pays to play around with strap adjustment, as that is the key to good fit and comfortable sleep. Sometimes less is more with the headgear, i.e., too tight and it actually pushes mask seal outward and makes leaks. Less tight lets the mask float on the face. Often it is better until the mask is just so beat down it can't seal any other way.

Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 01:13 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Question

Is your stabilizer adjustment on the mask cranked all the way down to 0?
No. I'm backed off almost all the way; fairly loose just to the point of no leaks.
(05-19-2014, 03:17 PM)glfredrick Wrote: She also made me a hose cover from fleece that slips over the hose and makes it soft and quiet while moving around at night.

I've also started using the Remzzzz pads and I really like them. I'm hooked after just a few nights (well, about 2 weeks worth now).
Hope this helps!

glfredrick, sounds like your wife may have a new business opportunity. Appreciate the information. Will look into the Remzzz pads, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 12:40 PM)retired_guy Wrote: I did not have much luck with the Gekko pad. I do like the Remzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz liners and the Pad-a-cheek. The primary benefit of the Gekko though is to protect the bridge of your nose because sometimes the Quattro can be a bit harsh in that area.

Boy, I can attest to the Quattro being harsh for sure! The bridge of my nose was a mess with just the mask. Although the pad is helping, it's a pain in the butt. Was hoping the liners may be a better alternative.

Will have to take a look a the Pad-a-cheek as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a modification you can make to the mask, but you must be very careful when you do it lest you damage the seal of the mask.

If you remove the liner from the blue plastic rim that it's connected to you will find there is a hard ridge of silicone running across the area where the bridge of your nose gets clobbered. If you very carefully use a pair of sharp scissors you can trim that ridge away from the bridge area without damaging the mask itself. Trim just enough so the ridge does not rub against the bridge of your nose or poke it from the sides.

This can make it possible to use the Quattro without it hurting your nose.

Just be careful not to puncture the seal portion of the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 10:48 PM)retired_guy Wrote: There is a modification you can make to the mask, but you must be very careful when you do it lest you damage the seal of the mask.

Hmm, very interesting. I think when I first joined, someone (maybe you) mentioned this modification but to be very careful.

Would you know if there are any detailed instructions floating around? Would love for my nose not to get "clobbered" w/out that Gekko pad!
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope to the detailed instructions. Because the silicone material is basically clear it would be pretty much impossible to take a picture of it. At least for it is. The above is how it was described to me and beyond that once you start the process you will see what the problem is. It's pretty clear that a hard ridge of silicone rubbing on your nosie is not a good idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll take a clearer look at it tomorrow. Too late right now....

Would love to just be able to throw on the mask w/ no pads, liners or other accessories!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 151 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.