Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight gain with Cpap?
Weight gain with Cpap?
I have been on successful cpap therapy for over two months now and the duration and quality of my sleep has improved remarkably. Mt AHIs are averaging less then 1 and everything seems to finally be ok after my initial adjustment period. The one issue I now have is weight gain. My diet hadn't changed and I walk 3-4 mikes a day so I get plenty of exercise. I really can't find anything that had changed in my life over the last two months except Cpap and yet I have gained 5lbs. Has anyone else notice the same problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Weight gain with Cpap?
Good morning Mr. Killer.

I'm not an expert about why you would gain wait because of the cpap experience, but I wonder if you might actually be getting better benefit from your diet and your exercise program since you now get adequate sleep? Perhaps you're really generating "muscle" tissue rather than "fat" tissue? I'm told muscle weighs 6 times more than fat, so that might not be a bad thing?
Post Reply Post Reply
My biggest exercise was the battle every night to sleep, now that I can sleep I need to get moving and work on that. Glad the pap is working for you helps many things just maybe not weight.
good luck
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
I been thinking about retired guys response and he might be on to something. Maybe I was but I g more calories at night when I wasn't sleeping g well. I was awake for at least half if every night and often up and out of bed. Now that I'm sleeping deeply my calorie burn might be reduced. Guess I'll have to cut my calorie intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opposite case here... I started losing weight. Close to 60 lbs since I started on cpap... Since the last time I bought new jeans, about a year ago, I've dropped 2 waist sizes. I was floored last week when I tried on a size smaller than I thought I'd need, and they fit perfectly.

I never did eat a lot, but when I stated cpap 4 years ago they also found that I'm slightly hypo thyroid. Between the 2, something seems to have helped my weight. ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
The most common result is weight loss, not gain.

Has your activity increased since starting CPAP?? You could still be in the muscle building phase following increased activity.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 271 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can high loop gain be changed? NoddingHacker 2 391 01-05-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 694 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Major weight loss, still need CPAP? bperella 3 557 09-01-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  Weight loss Nsmon1313 3 597 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.