Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Another Noob from NC; Introduction
Another Noob from NC; Introduction
[parts of this thread copied from old forum]
............................................................................................

Topsailgirl wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new here but not new to sleep apnea and the restless nights. I was diagnosed with it in June 2009 and I could not believe it!! I'm 5 ft 7 and I only weigh 118 and was 44 at the time. I don't fit the "category" at all. Anywhooo so began my journey. I've lost count of the number of masks I've gone through but my DME has been fairly good.

I joined here to learn as much as I can and be of help to anyone I can. So I hope you all don't mind if I tag along in this journey we're all on. Wink
..................................................................................................
Topsailgirl wrote:

I got the clinical manual for my ResMed Escape II here are my current settings

EPR: Full Time
EPR Level: 3
EPR Access: On
EPR Inhale: med
Ramp: 15 min
Max Ramp: 45 min
Start CPAP: 7
CPAP: 13
Calibrate: 1.05

My symptoms are bloating/swallowing air
Waking to adjust my dream seal

Any suggestions on hoe far to adjust my CPAP or Ramp?

Thanks All!!
...........................................................................................

SuperSleeper wrote;
Hi Topsailgirl, welcome to Apnea Board!

The bloating feeling is called "aerophagia" - click on this thread for how I answered another member concerning this issue:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...h-Bloating

Also, keep in mind that the "ramp" feature is simply a comfort feature to allow you to slowly get used to your full pressure over the course of a few minutes as you first go to bed. Is is completely different than your EPR setting, which gives you reduced pressure to exhale out against all throughout the night.

Your EPR is already set at 3, which is at the maximum pressure relief. You might try lowering your prescribed pressure of 13 a bit, perhaps, which may relieve some of the bloating feeling, but first try some of the ideas in the above thread link. It's best to consult with you doctor if you can as well, since there could be other issues involved that we don't know about by your post.

The waking up to adjust your mask is common. The aerophagia could be contributing to your waking up from time to time. Most likely is that the mask is adjusted improperly, is the wrong size or wrong type for your facial structure. You might want to try other mask types and makes. Always remember to wash your face and mask every day, as facial oils can contribute greatly to mask leaks.

Most people have their mask on way too tight. Many CPAP masks are designed to fit comfortably on your face/head and almost "float" over your nasal area. Strapping them down like a vice will only cause leaks, marks on your face in the morning and an uncomfortable sleeping experience.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, please ask!
............................................................................................

Topsailgirl wrote:
Thanks for the link!! A year ago yesterday I had a benign brain tumor removed from the right side of my head. My GP doesn't think the tumor removal has had anything to do with these changes over the last year. She had me do another sleep study in my home but it really was inconclusive.
My neuro-surgeon won't make up his mind. All I know is that ever since I was able to use my CPAP after surgery, I have had the bloated feeling. I am due for a new mask and as a matter of fact ordered it today from my RT. She also suggested after giving her some of my many symptoms that I get an oximeter. She thinks from some of my symptoms that my blood oxygen level is low. Sooo...now I'm off to review and investigate that.
...........................................................................................

SuperSleeper wrote:
If you've had brain surgery since your last full sleep study in a clinical lab, you might want to go back for a complete sleep study again - if there were some changes in the brain that occurred due to the tumor, you could have a degree of Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) in addition to your Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). Sometimes, doctors prescribe BiPAP or BiPAP Auto machines for patients who suffer primarily from CSA. Or, perhaps your pressure needs have changed after the surgery.

If you can get an oximeter cheaply or if your insurance will pay for it, I think it would be a great diagnostic tool for you and help also in determining the effectiveness of your CPAP treatment.

Topsailgirl wrote:
SuperSleeper, I asked for a complete sleep study in a clinical lab in June or July of 2010. GP didn't think it necessary. So I picked up a CPAP with a smart card for a few nights and nothing seemed to be any different except higher levels of leaks. Bottom line docs didn't change anything. NOW I've found this board and enough wisdom to show them I am in charge not them. So I'm going to get the oximeter and then demand a new study depending on the results. Thanks for posting to me!! I appreciate the advice.
..........................................................................................
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with CPAP tuning for a noob arjaydev 1 234 02-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 892 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  Total BIPAP noob consolidated thread Morgannon 3 462 01-24-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Morgannon
  Bipap Noob Questions supyasieve 14 1,149 10-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: supyasieve
Angry [CPAP] Huge noob here. Really POed at Resmed/DME and could use help now! debhona12 15 1,470 06-01-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 632 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,179 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.