Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

FORUMS: Good or Bad
RE: FORUMS: Good or Bad
i can sum up my answer by saying i wish i wish al gore (LOL......) would have invented the internet much sooner so this type of forum would have been available in 1990 when i was first diagnosed. i think it could have prevented some real problems.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
If sleep professionals doing their job properly than we wouldn't see great number of peoples joining Apnea Board looking for simple solutions to simple problems bear in mind our forum is not just open to members but also to thousands or even millions of sleep apnea patients worldwide who come here and browse through the forum looking for answers as well.
I don,t understand why there is so much secrecy surrounding a simple device that just blow air and no other patients treated like mushrooms by their service providers in this way. I've come to conclusion it has to do with money form manufactures who manufacture the equipments, insurance companies, service providers including doctors who write the prescriptions and DME/suppliers who dispense the equipments, They are all colluding to rip off sleep deprived patients who don,t have the foggiest idea what,s going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a simple problem with my machine the sleep DME staff girl had to no solution for and said she never heard of that problem before. It was a noise much like wind whistling thru a crack in a window on a windy night. What I needed was to change my old filter. This forum told me to check it....I did and it was fixed/ There is no danger in that advice yet the DME was more dangerous, so to speak because she had no answer to a simple Question/problem.
I also find Dr Oz very helpful on most subects.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2012, 12:26 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: i can sum up my answer by saying i wish i wish al gore (LOL......) would have invented the internet much sooner so this type of forum would have been available in 1990 when i was first diagnosed. i think it could have prevented some real problems.

I agree with greatunclebill's sentiments, this would have been a great source for me in the mid-90s to learn about machines and masks, instead of using the "try it and (dis)like" method from the DME.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no question about it - forums, especially this Board are of great benefit. In fact, I waited a year after my sleep study to actually get a machine and start treatment. I would never had gotten started if it had not been for this Board and some other websites that I checked. I was able to determine which machine I wanted and which masks I wanted to try in which order. If I had not read the posts on this board, gotten the software etc. I would not have started treatment and certainly would not have had a clue what I was doing or whether the treatment was working or not. The doctor wasn't very helpful and the DME folks are nice but they really don't know how this stuff works. Since I wasn't feeling terrible during the day, I probably would not have started treatment until my BP got terrible and I felt bad. Keep up the good work.
Post Reply Post Reply
The things they "hide" in the clinician's menu are for the most part silly and the user should have access to them. When the machine (System One) came from the DME, I could check the hours, AHI etc. The sleep Dr changed the pressure and then I could no longer see those numbers.That was when I started looking for the ability to change things. Don't really want to change the pressure, but I want to see the daily numbers, there was even a mask fit check function that I knew nothing about. Since there was discussion whether the mask was leaking (partner said it was and I said it wasn't), I entered the clinician's menu and turned that function on and the discussion was ended with authority. I found a lot of things in that menu that had very little to do with treatment and much to do with comfort (default setting on the humidifier, default ramp times, c-flex and a-flex settings). Access to these has made the treatment easier to live with. Thanks for the Forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
This forum is the reason I was able to retry using CPAP and be successful this time. The pressure setting they originally gave me was too high for me to sleep. It was 14 and I actually had to reset it to 6 and work my way up to 9. I have used my CPAP every night all night for about 5 months now. I have tried to up the pressure to 10 but as yet can not sleep at that rate. For me its either 9 or nothing and at nine I am sleeping good and not snoring and as my wife hasn't witnessed a stop breathing occurence in me since I went back on the CPAP. Again, I have tried 10 but it is overpowering for me and I end up fighting it and can't sleep. To those against the forum all I can say is I feel good now and am getting rest finally, if I hadn't seen this forum and lowered my pressure I would have just unplugged and given up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.