Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Higher AHI while awake/talking
Higher AHI while awake/talking
Yesterday slept 6 hours and AHI was 0.3 or close but stayed in bed for further 20minutes talking with my better half and when checked the AHI again it was 2.0.
On the ResScan it shows one events in the first 6 hours and a cluster of 10 events within 10 mins of the 20 minutes while awake talking.
Any thoughts while making myself a a cup of tea
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Higher AHI while awake/talking
As you talk, you are breathing out, not in. Which would show as apneas. Also, your breathing as you converse is not as deep as when you are silent or asleep. Which would count as hypopneas.

At least that's my theory.
Post Reply Post Reply
You,re correct Paula, Our breathing while awake is not regular as while asleep as it tends to fool the S9 as it can not tell if we,re asleep or awake it just record an apnea whenever it fit the description.
Post Reply Post Reply
You'll have to try it again and see if the same thing happens.

I think it's cool you have a machine that records data. I'm sad I don't! We're saving up to get a used or new one from Supplier #2.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2012, 03:57 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: You'll have to try it again and see if the same thing happens.

I think it's cool you have a machine that records data. I'm sad I don't! We're saving up to get a used or new one from Supplier #2.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Yes it is well known that if you talk with your mask on, it will register as an event but if you have the ramp on and talk while this is counting down it doesn not.

Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed the few times I wake up in the morning and lay in bed for a while with the mask on I end up with an apnea event even though I know I wasn't gasping for air. This distorts the data in Sleepyhead a little but I'm not worried about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you wake up it's time to turn the machine off. It's called sleep apnea because it happens while we're asleep, not laying in bed talking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Health] AWAKE AHI? newtothis1 12 718 01-04-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.