Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COPD, Emphysema and such with Apnea.
RE: COPD, Emphysema and such with Apnea.
(08-12-2014, 12:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: p.s..... chasing the puppy who just ran outside after stealing a pair of my undershorts from the laundry basket has provided me with much more exercise than I really wanted......................

Oh the picture in my mind - one Hopes you were dressed...
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 02:14 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 12:13 PM)retired_guy Wrote: p.s..... chasing the puppy who just ran outside after stealing a pair of my undershorts from the laundry basket has provided me with much more exercise than I really wanted......................

He only owns one pair of undershorts!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 12:22 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I'll send a blast-o-gram to my pulmonist & see what he has to say about it.

I did send a blast-o-gram to my pulmonist about the S9 COPD model, who responded telling me he was sending it to his head Fred pulmonist, who will get back to me next week. So we'll see what they say. If I was a betting man, I'd bet they will say something like "Are you sleeping well?"

(10-10-2014, 02:14 PM)Evpraxia Wrote:

Well.......... The puppy DID have my shorts of course.

(10-10-2014, 02:21 PM)justMongo Wrote: He only owns one pair of undershorts!

Why would one person need two?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 12:39 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: until last night I wasn't aware that resmed made a machine especially for those of us who have COPD. The machine model is called, "VPAP COPD".

Ok, so here's what I got from the head guy at the VA Hospital pulmonary unit:

"Whether or not someone with COPD and OSA should transition from cpap to bipap
(be it the machine you are speaking of or another form of bipap) is an involved
question and involves factors such as carbon dioxide levels and how well one is
doing with cpap. Not having evaluated you in clinic, this is difficult for me to
assess but this question was directed to me by the pulmonary nurse. As a general
rule, if you are doing well with cpap and your CO2 levels are good, it is
probably not worth switching to bipap but this can be discussed further in sleep
clinic or in pulmonary clinic and the doctors who see you there can discuss it
with me. Please let us know what you would like to do."

So... the short answer is "are you feeling better?"

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 04:11 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 12:39 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: until last night I wasn't aware that resmed made a machine especially for those of us who have COPD. The machine model is called, "VPAP COPD".

Ok, so here's what I got from the head guy at the VA Hospital pulmonary unit:

"Whether or not someone with COPD and OSA should transition from cpap to bipap
(be it the machine you are speaking of or another form of bipap) is an involved
question and involves factors such as carbon dioxide levels and how well one is
doing with cpap. Not having evaluated you in clinic, this is difficult for me to
assess but this question was directed to me by the pulmonary nurse. As a general
rule, if you are doing well with cpap and your CO2 levels are good, it is
probably not worth switching to bipap but this can be discussed further in sleep
clinic or in pulmonary clinic and the doctors who see you there can discuss it
with me. Please let us know what you would like to do."

So... the short answer is "are you feeling better?"

Interesting answer that CO2 levels are one of two determining factors when they are very seldom checked from what I gather.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 618 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,402 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
Question COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info Hydrangea 2 575 08-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,852 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,897 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.