Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Morning Numbers
RE: Morning Numbers
(04-11-2012, 04:47 PM)shutterbug sue Wrote: Good to know. I got the feeling she was just giving me a very short answer to get rid of me. What is a clear airway then if it's not a central apnea? How can you tell if you are having central apneas from the S9 readings in the SleepyHead software? How are central apneas treated?

I don't think she was being insincere. Here's the thing. When you stop breathing, that's an apnea. The machine then sends a pressure pulse to try to determine if your airway is obstructed. If it is obstructed, it counts it as an obstructive apnea (OA). If the airway is not obstructed, then it counts it as a CA. What's a CA?

It could be a true central apnea, or it could be just a clear-airway apnea. (You'd need the gear they use in a sleep study -- e.g. a chest belt to show no effort to breathe -- to tell for sure if it's a true central apnea).

The point here is that it probably doesn't matter for a patient who was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. If the machine shows too many OA's, and the pressure can be raised to reduce that number, we conclude that raising the pressure reduces the number of OA's.

Likewise, if the machine shows too many CA's, and the pressure can be lowered to reduce that number, we conclude that lowering the pressure reduces the number of CA's.

Who cares what you call them?! They are periods of time where you're not breathing while asleep. Lowering the pressure reduces the number of those events that you experience.

So, I think the techs just use the jargon. They say too high of a pressure induces centrals, because they know that in many patients reducing the pressure reduces the number of centrals recorded by the machine.

What do they mean by a central? It's the thing recorded by the machine, called a CA. Resmed calls a CA a central apnea, Respironics calls a CA a clear-airway apnea.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet. Lowering the pressure reduces, in many patients with OSA, the number of CA events. A reduction in the number of CA's, by any other name, feels as sweet.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 AutoSet can determine whether the airway is open or closed during an apnea but does nothing for central apnea and if you have a problem with central apnea then inquire about ASV titration from the doc
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the input. it was never my intention to keep messing with the pressure setting. I am leaving the same settings on for 2 weeks and see what happens. I will download the ResScan software to better understand what's going on.

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great!

And tell us what the results are! I really want to know! I don't have a data capable machine, dangit. I am jealous.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 426 Yesterday, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 200 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  Do I need to tweak my numbers dharris01 6 212 04-15-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dharris01
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 255 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 204 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 205 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 246 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.