Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

smelly RESMED S9
RE: smelly RESMED S9
I wonder what household hydrogen peroxide solution would do? It's fairly chemically reactive with organic stuff and might help with the smells. I doubt it would affect silicone, but use at your own risk.

The fact that your used units stank and not the new ones make me think it might be something from the previous user's bedroom. I've smelled a Vicks Vaporub smell from one used CPAP and one had a sort of perfume smell. The smells went away pretty quickly.

I think it's really unlikely that any outgassing from your CPAP is going to be hazardous. If it's outgassing some volatile compounds out, it's depleting whatever small amount of that chemical is inside the machine. There's a LOT of air flowing through the machine during a night, around 10,000 liters. It should run out of its supply of whatever it's outgassing pretty quickly.

Presumably they didn't leave in anything seriously toxic in the plastic. Your nose is fantastically sensitive to some molecules. It seems in chemistry, most of the really nasty stuff is odorless, though. 8-(

Plastic smells, but if it's toxic, you're probably already dead from the enormous amounts of polymers in your house already. Paint, carpet, flooring, adhesives, clothing, shower curtains, plastic bags, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: smelly RESMED S9
Did you try to order a new seal from the company. you would be able to correct the smell if the odor was coming from the silicone gasket by replacing it with a new one! if the odor persisted then other components may have been the initial culprit and the gasket just absorbed the odor ..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smelly mask/hose - what to do? Benzi 39 3,391 04-28-2022, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  Bad Infection, smelly CPAP chrishw 19 5,651 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Smelly cpap smell after months of use and other problems zhentrixcalipso 17 15,506 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.