Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 nasal mask fitting problems
RE: AirFit P10 nasal mask fitting problems
Believe it or not, Clementine, the large MAY be the way to go. I slept with the large last night, and when I awoke at 4am I had to feel my face to be sure I had one on, it was that comfortable! I also wasn't struggling on inhale like I had been with the medium, I think that's the "need more air" feeling you describe. The pillow rim should rest against the outside of your nares, and incidental movement should not cause leaks.

I tried the small and couldn't get a seal no matter what I tried (though I didn't try pushing it into my nose). So I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried the large, and I'm so glad I did! I hadn't even realized that with the medium I was getting a bit of "whoosh" but with the large there was none of that and the only sound I heard was the subtle hum of the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2014, 11:01 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Oddly enough Clem, I think you'll find that if you go to the large size even though you should by all rights be a medium or small, it will help with the leaks. I sort of go sometimes with the large, sometimes the medium ...never the small, depending on the phase of the moon or something.

The other thing is what is the range on your machine now? Minimum vs. Maximum. If that range is too large it can cause problems as you describe. So my feeling is if your machine likes to keep you at, for instance, 12, then a minimum of 9 and a max of 15 is a nice balance.

I just recently got an AirFit P10 mask also and have been having trouble with air leaks. The mask fits fine and when I use the mask fit feature on my S9 VPAP Auto, I always have the happy face indicating no leaks. However. when I check after sleeping I was always coming up with a red sad face indicating that I had air leaks.

Last night, I finally found the problem, it seems that after a while, a ball of air builds up in my mouth to a point where it finally blows out one side of my lips. I have always sleep with my mouth closed and no chin strap. Don't know if a chin strap would hel on this,

Anyway, I got the idea to put some adhesive tape across my lips and low and behold that solved the problem. Had to wake up to go to bathroom twice during the night (have bladder problems) and checked machine and found that no leaks had happened. Might try DUCK TAPE across the lips tonight. AM I the only one who has this problem. Note: my mouth is closed and my jaw does not drop but a ball of air builds up until there is a suden blowout from one side of my lips.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2014, 01:01 PM)Sleepy Al Wrote: I just recently got an AirFit P10 mask also and have been having trouble with air leaks. The mask fits fine and when I use the mask fit feature on my S9 VPAP Auto, I always have the happy face indicating no leaks. However. when I check after sleeping I was always coming up with a red sad face indicating that I had air leaks.

Last night, I finally found the problem, it seems that after a while, a ball of air builds up in my mouth to a point where it finally blows out one side of my lips. I have always sleep with my mouth closed and no chin strap. Don't know if a chin strap would hel on this,

Anyway, I got the idea to put some adhesive tape across my lips and low and behold that solved the problem. Had to wake up to go to bathroom twice during the night (have bladder problems) and checked machine and found that no leaks had happened. Might try DUCK TAPE across the lips tonight. AM I the only one who has this problem. Note: my mouth is closed and my jaw does not drop but a ball of air builds up until there is a suden blowout from one side of my lips.

Yes, the air buildup you describe is a common issue. You are not getting your airway sealed off from your mouth. A chinstrap can help this, in that it encourages the jaw to stay forward. The other thing is to put your tongue against the roof of your mouth. That will seal the airway.

I do not use the mask fit function. I really don't think it's needed with the P10. What's to leak? The pillows? That's easy to know and easy to fix.

I am not one that thinks taping your mouth shut is a good idea. Actually, I think it's a problem waiting to happen. Yes, it will stop mouth leaks, and inhalations. But then so would a plastic bag. I don't recommend that either. That said, there are those that believe in the mouth taping thing and have not had any problems with it. But it's not my idea of a good time.

Practice sealing the airway with your tongue. You'll figure that out and that's the best way to go.

Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, after my experience, I will believe ANY pillow fits even if you started at the opposite extreme.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Just picked up my new P10's yesterday (after trial fitting with medium size pillows). I immediately put on the large pillows because of all the comments about bigger working better for most people. In my case, it didn't work so well. I think what happened is the larger cones are collapsing as they are pressed against the outside of my nostrils, causing restriction as they basically fold closed. Switching back to medium worked well for me, another great night of sleep (finally)!
Post Reply Post Reply
gah. I'm so discouraged. It seems to be, after going back and forth between small and medium masks, that the air pressure is just too high. It lifts the pillows right off my nose, just enough to shift it over ever so slightly and then leak, which wakes me up. I'm on the auto mode, and so it's some time after I fall asleep that I'm awakened several times by the mask moving when the pressure ramps up.

So then I wonder if I have the straps too loose? but tightening the straps presses the pillows against my nose more and I can just imagine I look like Porky Pig. Squished nose. And it feels too tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 08:23 AM)jetstreamblue Wrote: Just picked up my new P10's yesterday (after trial fitting with medium size pillows). I immediately put on the large pillows because of all the comments about bigger working better for most people. In my case, it didn't work so well. I think what happened is the larger cones are collapsing as they are pressed against the outside of my nostrils, causing restriction as they basically fold closed. Switching back to medium worked well for me, another great night of sleep (finally)!

If the medium size is working for you that's great, just keep using it. But when it comes to any size, if the cones are collapsing I suspect your mask is way too tight. So keep the large around. You may want to use them some time. I've been using the large for quite a while now, but went to the medium last night. Don't really know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll probably go back to the large tonight as it "seems" like they give me more air flow.

(08-21-2014, 08:41 AM)Clementine Wrote: gah. I'm so discouraged. It seems to be, after going back and forth between small and medium masks, that the air pressure is just too high. It lifts the pillows right off my nose, just enough to shift it over ever so slightly and then leak, which wakes me up. I'm on the auto mode, and so it's some time after I fall asleep that I'm awakened several times by the mask moving when the pressure ramps up.

So then I wonder if I have the straps too loose? but tightening the straps presses the pillows against my nose more and I can just imagine I look like Porky Pig. Squished nose. And it feels too tight.

No, you do not want to tighten down the straps too much. That just creates problems you do not need. Once again, I really think you should give the large size a try.

Call your DME and ask them if they will give you a set.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with retired_guy, too tight is bad. It really shouldn't take much tension to hold the mask in position, and the pap should keep the pillows inflated enough to maintain a seal even through your body movements. Even though it SEEMS counterintuitive, you may find that the large is just right. Can't hurt to try...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 12:25 PM)retired_guy Wrote: If the medium size is working for you that's great, just keep using it. But when it comes to any size, if the cones are collapsing I suspect your mask is way too tight. So keep the large around. You may want to use them some time. I've been using the large for quite a while now, but went to the medium last night. Don't really know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll probably go back to the large tonight as it "seems" like they give me more air flow.

You're probably right, the P10 headgear isn't adjustable, and I have an above sized head, so it's probably too tight. I may need to try stretching it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2014, 01:50 PM)jetstreamblue Wrote: You're probably right, the P10 headgear isn't adjustable, and I have an above sized head, so it's probably too tight. I may need to try stretching it.

NO, don't do that!!! That would hurt. Stretch the mask instead.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 46 2,969 15 minutes ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.