Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quick help please --S9 VPAP Adapt or Respironics auto Bi SV?
RE: Quick help please --S9 VPAP Adapt or Respironics auto Bi SV?
Everybody, I really appreciate all the comments.
Making a decision is harder than I thought. I am a retired engineer, and LOVE having maximum controls and flexibility --> Respironics.

But the comments about Resmed better handling of clusters (which I have) and the comments about Resmed comfort and feel push it in that direction.

I really wish the Resmed had rise time and transition sensitivity type controls. That would seal it for me. As it is, choice seems 50-50 to me, and I fear getting one and finding something about it after starting use that says I should have gone the other way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well also keep in mind that as much as they said teh s9 will break up the clusters the PRS1 was said to prevent them in the first place. And the added settings on the PRS1. And frankly just the fact that they can't read the card, and are pushing in that direction with nothing better than "because" would bother me. But that's just me. Good luck!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 07:36 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: ...The VPAP Adapt does have limited adjustments compared with the Respironics. ..

That is absolute truth. I just drove over t the DME building to see these up close. They only had the S9 Adapt SV. I got to look through the menus, and the only 'important' settings available are min/max EPAP and min/max PS. That's it. No rise time, no sensitivity. The other things things like ramp tube and mask settings are there.

I thought the SV had a tube to measure pressure at the mask, but this did not.

But they did say that I could change to RS1 in a month if this one does not work well for me.
^^ important

So I guess I will start with this S9 even though I really want the other settings to tweak the 'comfort' things, which it does not have.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 11:21 AM)jcarerra Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 07:36 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: ...The VPAP Adapt does have limited adjustments compared with the Respironics. ..

That is absolute truth. I just drove over t the DME building to see these up close. They only had the S9 Adapt SV. I got to look through the menus, and the only 'important' settings available are min/max EPAP and min/max PS. That's it. No rise time, no sensitivity. The other things things like ramp tube and mask settings are there.

I thought the SV had a tube to measure pressure at the mask, but this did not.

But they did say that I could change to RS1 in a month if this one does not work well for me.
^^ important

So I guess I will start with this S9 even though I really want the other settings to tweak the 'comfort' things, which it does not have.

Someone in another thread also mentioned the dme letting them try both units in the office while awake to see which felt better to them. Maybe that is also an option for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 11:25 AM)Galactus Wrote: Someone in another thread also mentioned the dme letting them try both units in the office while awake to see which felt better to them. Maybe that is also an option for you?

They do not have any Respironics machines--have to order them in.

Oh, I forgot to mention about the S9SV...it has NOTHING whatsoever in the menus about backup ventilation rate. Nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2014, 11:44 AM)jcarerra Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 11:25 AM)Galactus Wrote: Someone in another thread also mentioned the dme letting them try both units in the office while awake to see which felt better to them. Maybe that is also an option for you?

They do not have any Respironics machines--have to order them in.

Oh, I forgot to mention about the S9SV...it has NOTHING whatsoever in the menus about backup ventilation rate. Nothing.

My bad when you said you drove over there to see them I thought you meant the Resmed and PR, but as I read it again you went to see the two different Resmeds. Got it now. I'd invite you over for a hose party and we could try on each others machines but you're too far away lol.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I am in FL and you are in USA. They are close!

I went thinking I could look at both, but they only keep Resmed in stock.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been debating that question since before I got my PRS1 960TS last Oct.
I still can't make up my mind which one I want.
My old S9 Autoset was silent. My new PRS1 sounds like a haunted house. For the first few weeks it was so noisy I could not fall asleep now I must be getting used to it. It only wakes me up when it really ramps up the volume.
I do keep my AHI below 3 and have had a few zeros, but I still don't feel rested.
I would like to tweak my settings but I still don't understand which settings to tweak. I am just beginning my quest to find a qualified sleep doctor to guide me through my dial winging.

I am sure this won't help your decision but I offer it up anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, others have mentioned that the RS1 is quite much noisier than the S9 series. I doubt that would bother me as I like background noise while sleeping-have a noise machine in the bedroom. But that is steady noise---varying volume/pitch might be a different matter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well this afternoon I picked up an S9 elite and I will run it later to see if I think it is any noisier than my PRS1 but honestly I don't think it is based on my quick test.

And yes, FL is in the USA but trust me we're just too far or I'd invite you over Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,064 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 104 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 787 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.