Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Interesting phenomenon with CAs
Interesting phenomenon with CAs
So I've always had an issue with central events. Never high enough to be dx'd with mixed apnea. Before getting the Autoset, any increase in pressure would dramatically increase the CA events (going by observation from another and how I felt since I had a brick). But other wise, once I had a data capable machine, the CA events were rarely over the OA event count, never over 5, but were always there.

I'm having to sleep a lot on my back due to back and hip issues. I sleep with my head and shoulders propped up and several pillows under my knees. This has caused the pressure to increase due to the position (95% is 18-19+). And it has caused me to leak air from my lips. It is annoying as heck due to the Elbow Alarm and waking up so many times a night. I've tried a chin strap which mostly worked but I had problems with the strap itself. The leaks were rarely enough to compromise the data. They were almost always below 24 with the occasional big spike from when the mask would pop off but that would be short since it woke me.

Then I got the Pap Cap. Nothing changed except that. Not sleeping position, medication change, etc. The Pap Cap worked. The leaks decreased. And interestingly, the snoring decreased, the pressure requirement decreased (95% is 15-17), and then my CA events ceased. As in none. In the past 2 weeks, I have had two events and that was during an awful 1.5hr nap where I slept on my side and did not wear the Pap Cap.

So....What the heck?!?!?!

Is it the pressure decrease? I would think so but it's not like it is regularly lower than it has been. There's been nights where the 95% is back to 18 and yet no CA events.

Is it simply the lack of leaks so it is reading it correctly? But that can't be it because the lip leaking is relatively new. I've had CA events forever.

Aliens can't read me through the Pap Cap?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Interesting phenomenon with CAs
It sounds like the pressure decrease, possibly along with a more comfortable environment with the pap cap. Whatever, it sure is good news!
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest that the leaks were arousing you into a condition of "nearly awake/nearly asleep" since that's where I find most of my CA's occur. Fewer leaks = fewer arousals = fewer CA's
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah! Good point, Surferdude! Hadn't considered that.

Herb, the overall AHI hasn't dropped. The OSA events are the same, even though the pressure has dropped. My AHI is between 3.5 and 4.5. Irritates the snot out of me I can't get it lower. But, heck, lower than the 68 it was when I was diagnosed!
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm. I had to Google Pap Cap. Interesting design. Don't think it would work for me. No tin foil liner!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula02,
Where did you get your "pap cap"?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 10:50 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Paula02,
Where did you get your "pap cap"?
Thanks

Clearly................... from "mom"
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad that the pap cap has eliminated your CA's.

I wonder if this pap cap will move or misalign the chin since the info I read about it says it moves it up about 1/2 inch. I also wonder if it is comfortable and doesn't cause one to get hot like other chin straps. I have a chin strap that is a nice one but it isn't made of breathable material. I no longer use it because after a few months of using it, my mouth stays closed when sleeping so I don't use it anymore. BUT, I wouldn't mind a breathable chin strap just in case there is a time when I have problems with my mouth staying closed when sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got mine from Supplier #1.

Yes, it is hot. Well, warm. I didn't think it would be since it is cloth, but between it and the mask, it gets warm. Not as hot as the Ruby-Like chin strap, though! I got the large since when I measured my head I was right at the cusp and my sized hat was as well. I probably could have gotten the medium and been better off. Less leftover material. When I get it on and the mask on, it can feel claustrophobic. I was surprised at that.

I plan on doing a review in a week. I've got a few problems with it I am trying to work out.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I am delighted for any improvement you have achieved

(And yes it is easy to imagine that it is annoying not to post 'competitive numbers' Smile ).

FYI: My numbers are up a bit since my total hip replacement 4 weeks ago (today) -- nothing drastic but noticeably higher. Some of that might be due to the narco but I hadn't had ANY of that in about 10 days and took very little even at first (however, what I did take was usually at bed time or near to it.)

There is nothing I can add to the explanation (surferdude's idea seems as likely as anything).

Also, if you think you might be facing hip surgery or even replacement, feel free to contact me (I can't give you medical advice but you can guess that I have learned pretty much everything that amateurs know about the various replacement methods and issues plus tricks for recovery. It makes a BIG difference HOW your hip surgery it done and only 20% are done the "good way". At least I can tip you to the questions to ask your surgeon or in seeking a second opinion.)

Sometimes backs make hips hurt and sometimes it goes (mostly) the other way around. My bone on bone hip was making both my back and my knees worse.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 364 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Interesting mask fit news from Phillips Gooserider 5 1,302 05-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Interesting situation (financial) Broomstick 7 1,264 01-31-2020, 12:06 AM
Last Post: farnsy
  New machine interesting problem britincanada 2 1,225 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ajack
  Interesting DME Experience sansnap 11 2,331 01-21-2019, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Interesting Pro Publica Article ShoshTrvls 7 1,493 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: ShoshTrvls
  [Pressure] Pressure increase after interesting flow rates MisterM 1 1,155 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Walla Walla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.