Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Congestion
Congestion
Only CPAP'ing since May

Wasn't ever aware that I was congested, stuffed up, until I began this process.
Knew i was a mouth breather but never gave it any thought, never questioned it, never made any connection between the two.

Finally had to resort to that nose rinsing at nighttime in order to make it through the night without ripping off the mask, not having been able to breathe

Weather suddenly changed in Toronto a week ago and has gone from summer to feeling as if it is late October much quicker than usual.

Curious since so many here have been dealing with congestion for years, but my congestion has s suddenly gone away, completely!

When I had it, and was nasal rinsing, my right nostril I could get clear very easily but never the left.
It was even harder to get the water to go up and around and back out that particular side so I just assumed I must have a narrower passage there.

But now, since all of a sudden I am completely clear and on both sides, what does that mean?
Have i developed allergies during the summer months and wasn't ever aware of it?

Ive never been allergic to anything that I am aware of and the congestion I had, I can't say when it began for i never noticed but do know I have been a mouth breather all of my life, even in childhood..................I don't have any other symptoms of allergies that i have heard of.

All of a sudden, I don't need to even use that salt rinse---its great! Big Grin

IF NOT allergies, what else can cause such congestion to be so heavy and then clear up as soon as the summer goes away?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Congestion
You can become allergic to something at any time, even after years of exposure.

But it could be that, since this is your first cool weather experience, that something is normally stirred up, awake, blooming, in the air, or whatever in the warmth but slowed down, dormant, not around in the cool. That could be just about anything. A mold, a mite, a flower, even a fan being turned off.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Its very possible you have Rhinitis, and may have had it for years from your symptoms. Ones nose can be obstructed deep in the nasal cavity and seems the movement of the forced air from your CPAP has cleared it somewhat.

I have been troubled by it for years and take an allergy medicine at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have seasonal allergies and this past Summer they were more bothersome than most times. However, now that the humidity is receding and the leaves are falling, my allergies seem to be letting up. My DIL who has asthma also has noticed a lessening of her problems now that Fall season is upon us. Glad you feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suffer from allergies and stuffy nose and have had to go with a full face mask (Mirage Quattro) from day one to get any semblance of proper therapy. Since using the Quattro the only complaint that I have is dry mouth occasionally. I also upgraded to the S9 series and heated hose.. and if I notice that I am a bit stuffy when going to sleep I slap the humidifier in the line and get some warm moisture flowing with the air... completely rids me of the congestion all night. I also use the same if I should get a cold or sniffles and find that it keeps me from coughing with the FFM on. Worth a try. Just don't but your mask in Ontario. We pay $90 - $150 for a Quattro online versus the $350 plus tax they want from DME's in Ontario. What a rip.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 157 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 385 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose Pillow with congestion SleepSundogSleep 3 581 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SleepSundogSleep
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,483 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [CPAP] CPAP the right machine for occasional nasal congestion and mouth breathing? Alexsamui 1 554 03-04-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] Mild OSA/UARS, awful nasal congestion, don't know where to start with masks Pod153 10 1,321 01-10-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: newuser1002

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.