Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repairing a sleep apnea device?
RE: Repairing a sleep apnea device?
I hope I am wrong: It could be the blower motor itsself at the end of its life ... running for years and has collected microscopic dust in its bearings. If it has to start working it needs a lot more of Ampere. I remember this behavior of old ventilators.

These power supplies tend to die completely or they continuously can't deliver enough power .

Sincereley
Fat Rat
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the easiest and yet toughest things in the world to find is an intermittent problem with your electronics. Over the years I have seen power supplies that we have set up in our test jig, where a relay drops out if the power fails for even a moment, in order to show us that the power did indeed fail at some point. Works great but does not do anything (or little) for measuring and verifying output voltage over time AND I am afraid I don't know what the power requirements are for your particular blower. Once determined one can test for voltage and current output.... or voltage under load. An intermittent problem with electronics is very VERY frustrating. If you can get your hands on another power supply (even if it is only one that puts out the voltage and current you require... if you were in my area I could loan you one for a week but it weighs a ton) you could cut off the power cord and use it with the variable output supply which would confirm power supply issue (yes/no) in a hurry. As the OP said, I too am not convinced it is a power supply issue for sure. It could be something as simple as a corroded fuse socket in the blower or something as complex as an electronics issue or cold solder joint in the blower OR power supply. With the cost of blowers today, if you or a friend are at all handy (look for a ham radio callsign of someone over 40) you can at least get an idea of where the problem might reside. I'd think it worth the effort for a spare machine but that's just me and I'm getting lazy as I grow older. Good luck in any event.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
Revisiting an old thread mostly because I'm just looking for info to still get my old unit repaired - to be a backup.

It's not the power brick. Got a brand new one, same result.

So, after some hassles with the new bipap, i'm wanting a backup unit again. But just thought I'd update on this, for whatever reason as I'm searching for repair companies.

The provider of the new unit won't touch it - says respironics no longer looks at bipap auto m series because they're "too old". Seems like "needs service" would still command some respect and help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone heard of these folks? Good/bad, repair thoughts?

Advans CPAP
12881 Knott St 203
Garden Grove, CA 92841

Post Reply Post Reply
I just called them, and was impressed by the phone call response. (I am very rarely impressed, I'm picky.)

So sounds like I'll be sending Advans my unit on Monday, but would still like comments if anyone has thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 04:32 PM)imseeker Wrote: Advans CPAP
12881 Knott St 203
Garden Grove, CA 92841

As an FYI, direct commercial links aren't allowed in member posts, but members can find the website of this DME listed as Supplier #28 on the forum Supplier List (link at the top of every forum page).

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry if I did something wrong.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 07:13 PM)imseeker Wrote: Sorry if I did something wrong.

I don't think you did anything "wrong", except possibly not scrutinizing the forum rules sufficiently, but I have to admit I didn't do that either.

So perhaps you shouldn't feel chastised, but politely corrected. We all make mistakes.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 216 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 286 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 123 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.