Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New hose head
New hose head
Newly diagnosed hosehead checking in for machine advice.
PT wrote script for a CPAP 15cm, but wants me to get an APAP for tritration issues in the future..?

I'm looking at 2 machines and could use some advice input.

Machine 1) IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine with SmartFlex with humidifier

Machine 2) SleepStyle 254 Auto CPAP Machine with Built In Heated Humidifier Manufactured by Fisher & Paykel

I'm leaning toward #2 due to the fact my wifes is still in use after 10 years...Model 200

HELP!

Bear
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New hose head
Hi Abearir and welcome to apnea board
Do you have insurance or buying out of pocket and also do you reside in US
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2012, 11:38 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi Abearir and welcome to apnea board
Do you have insurance or buying out of pocket and also do you reside in US

No insurance, totally out of pocket in the good ol USA.

If I HAVE too I can go up to a grand total, machine and FF mask. I'm leaning to one of those 2 and getting a zzz cpap travel as a backup/RVmachine. But that can wait if there are better choices then I have listed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both the IntelliPAP and Sleepstyle are good machines but if interested to monitor your therapy using software than ResMed S9 AutoSet or Philips Respironiccs System One Auto better choice bc both take standard SD card and don,t require special card reader and most importantly the software for both machines available free to download from apnea board.
ResScan software support the S9 AutoSet and SleepyHead software support both machines.
..................................................................................
I,m biased towards the S9 bc it provide better data info on the screen and as far as I know its the only machine that shows unintentional leak (mask leak) so you know instantly how big or small the leak and all the others shows total leak on the device.
I,m not sure if you can get the software for the Sleepstyle and if adding the cost of the software package for the IntelliPAP then there isn't any price difference.
......................................................................................
For price comparison you can check Supplier #2
[they sell gently used and new machines at affordable prices]
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
...........................................................................................

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, if your starting prescribed pressure is 15 and the doc is recommending an autoPAP, then you definitely want one that is data capable. With it, you can track how you are doing.

I also recommend Supplier #2 from the list.

The only machines I have used were Resmed so I have nothing else to go by from personal experience. The S9 Autoset is a good machine.

Shop around for suppliers. Find one that will let you try masks out for several weeks until you find one you want.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, good information thank you all...... Last question
Between the S9Autoset, and IntelliPap Auto, does the 1/3 higher price of the S9Autoset justify itself not to mention 3 years less warranty?

I'm torn over the two units,,,,,,I firmly believe buy once cry once. I just don't know if the 300 bucks and less warranty of the S9 is justified. Is it? or is it just markup..... Chevy vs GMC pickup type of thing??
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 06:55 PM)Abearir Wrote: Ok, good information thank you all...... Last question
Between the S9Autoset, and IntelliPap Auto, does the 1/3 higher price of the S9Autoset justify itself not to mention 3 years less warranty?

You will undoubtedly want to monitor your progress, discuss with your doc improvements in your treatment, and otherwise determine the best way to reduce your OSA. The only way you can do this, IMO, is by a review of your events during sleep - the leaks, the pressure, the AHI, and their specific to you relationships. As far as I can determine, the Intellipap does not give you that ability. While price now seems important, as well as the warranty, these machines largely are trouble free. Many have run far longer than 5 years, although you may also want a new one at that stage, to take advantage of improvements made over time. And the S9 is the only one of the two which gives you the data capability. If your only interest is having a xpap machine, and you are confident you will not need any of the other information, either for yourself or your doctor, then pick the cheapest one. I suspect you will be happy with either. But if you expect to want to monitor your treatment, which will be a life long event, then chose the S9 Autoset. As you can see from my profile, I elected to go with data compliant, and I am very happy with that choice.

Good luck in your therapy, and whatever choice you make, stay in touch on the forum. You will undoubtedly learn answers to questions you didn't even know you had! :grin:

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 06:55 PM)Abearir Wrote: Between the S9Autoset, and IntelliPap Auto, does the 1/3 higher price of the S9Autoset justify itself not to mention 3 years less warranty?

The extra price for a fully data-capable machine is definitely worth it. These machines contain a flow meter to measure your breathing, and when you stop breathing they know when and for how long. And they send pressure pulses during a period of no breathing to determine if your airway is open or closed. This is valuable information as it can be used to adjust the pressure. For example, too many obstructed-airway apneas is a sign that the pressure may be too low, too many clear-airway apneas is a sign that the pressure may be too high.

These machines count and average these events.

I realize that auto-PAP machines are supposed to have the ability to adjust the pressure themselves. Many patients report here that they do this well, but I've seen a few patients report here and on other forums that their machines routinely set the pressure too high or too low. When this happens you can put the machine in CPAP mode and manually adjust the pressure yourself.

The thing is, regardless, without full data-capability you have no way of knowing whether or not your therapy is effective. All you can go by is how you feel, and that may be good enough for you. If so, you don't need a data-capable machine.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No matter the cost, data capabilities is worth it. My machine is not and I regret that tremendously. I didn't shop around first. The last I had looked at machines, data capable was difficult because there was no way the user could access it. So I didn't even think to ask about it. Stoopid me.

Spend the extra money. Also look into the Respironics machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 06:55 PM)Abearir Wrote: Ok, good information thank you all...... Last question

I'm torn over the two units,,,,,,I firmly believe buy once cry once. I just don't know if the 300 bucks and less warranty of the S9 is justified. Is it? or is it just markup..... Chevy vs GMC pickup type of thing??

When I bought my S9 AutoSet about a month ago I was told the machine should last about 10 yrs. As others have said, the data capability is well worth the added initial cost. I've been tweaking my settings and now routinely have an AHI <1. A few nights ago it was actually 0.0! This wouldn't have been possible without a data capable machine. I justified the additional cost by telling myself it would be cheaper and easier to monitor my results and change the settings as needed. I don't ever plan on having another sleep study again. Just one sleep study copay is more than I paid for the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.