Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Water collecting in air tube
Water collecting in air tube
Hi everyone. I'm new to all of this. Am trialling Resmed Airsense 10 autoset with F&P simplus full face mask. Been on it for 2 weeks now. Humidifier was set at 4 with temp 24.

Untreated my AHI was 50, in first week or so it came down to around 10. I went back Thursday with machine to the shop, asked what did I need to tweak to get the AHI lower. They said try the humidifier at 5 (it was at 4) and drop temperature slightly. The AHI dropped to 7.7 on Thurs night and 2.4 on Fri night, also didn't have dry mouth. Water did collect in the air tube though and started making a knocking sound inside the tube that woke me up. I got up at 4am to tip out the water, set the humidifier back to 4 to see if water would collect. Water didn't collect any more, but my mouth felt dry again and the AHI ended the night on 3.8.

Any thoughts on settings so that the humidifier can be set to 5 without water collecting in the air tube? Did a search but couldn't find anything.
Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water collecting in air tube
G'day Bry1 - welcome to the forum. It looks like your AHI is already well under control - congratulations.

What you're describing is called rainout. It can get nasty when the collected condensation comes through the mask and hits you in the face Smile What type of hose do you have? Resmed make a "ClimateLine" hose which has a built-in heating element. Together with some smarts in the humidifier this pretty much eliminates rainout. You can tell this hose by a set of electrical connectors on the end that plugs into the machine (the mask end doesn't have connectors). If you don't have the ClimateLine hose I suggest you check it out. Alternatively, try to keep your existing hose warmer than the ambient temperature. You can buy (or make) a cloth sleeve to go over the hose. Some people just tuck it under the blankets, but I'd end up strangled if I did that. Also, keep the machine at a lower level than your bed so any excess water drains back without collecting in the hose (or your face).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2014, 01:48 AM)BRY1 Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new to all of this. Am trialling Resmed Airsense 10 autoset with F&P simplus full face mask. Been on it for 2 weeks now. Humidifier was set at 4 with temp 24.
You,re using ClimateLineAir (heated tube) and Climate Control on Manual, humidity 4 and temp 24
Climate Control on Auto ... temp set to 27C (80F) and protects against rainout, try it and see how it works for you

Whats your leak rate? leak, pressure, AHI, Total AI, Central CAI, displayed on the screen Sleep Report
All explained in the clinical manual, available via email (section three)
"ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite & CPAP (combined manual)"
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Even the machine is on trail, you can download the software and view your detailed data on your computer
ResScan and SleepyHead download links http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replies.

Not sure where I got the 2.4 and 3.8 figures now.

The pressure is set 8 to 19

Leak rate 5l/min
Pressure 16.5
AHI 9.3
Total AI 6.9
Central AI 2.3

Does SleepyHead software (for Mac) work with data from Airsense 10? I did download and install it but it would n't import the data from the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2014, 04:24 AM)BRY1 Wrote: Thanks for replies.

Not sure where I got the 2.4 and 3.8 figures now.

The pressure is set 8 to 19

Leak rate 5l/min
Pressure 16.5
AHI 9.3
Total AI 6.9
Central AI 2.3

Does SleepyHead software (for Mac) work with data from Airsense 10? I did download and install it but it would n't import the data from the SD card.
The latest release of Sleepyhead (0.9.8, I think) is reported to support the AirSense 10 machines and works on Mac computers

You,re doing a good job with leaks, 95th percentile 5L/m ... leak was at or below 5 L/m for 95% of the night

95th percentile pressure 16.5 ... pressure was at or below 16.5 for 95% of the night

Whats your prescription pressure and who prescribe pressure range 8-19 for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
The doc I see said I can do another sleep study (after diagnosing the apnea) and work out the max pressure, or go on a variable machine for a month and assess the month of data for the min and max pressure range, so gave a prescription for setting machine at 5 - 20. For first 2 nights machine was going straight up to 19.9, seemed to be leaking everywhere and keeping me awake, a real mess. So shop I hired from reset it so it started off on a gentle setting for five minutes then increased from there, they have been looking at data every few days and tweaking one thing at a time, leaks came under control and AHI falling, now got to get rid of this rainout effect. They are closed on w/end so asked here about the rainout, will try the suggestions tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hypernite heated hose (stand alone heated hose) if you shop around you can find it for about $40 US.
The OEM climateline worked fine for me but it required the proprietary humidifier to drive it.
The OEM humidifier did not hold enough water for me to make it through the night without running out so
I built on an F&P unit that has 60% more water capacity.
I have been using that combination for the last 18 months with much better results.
Moral:
You should also be able to find a set up that works for you!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BRY1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck to you as you settle into your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for suggestions, I set the temp to 27 and humidifier to 5, some condensation in the pipe but no water swilling around, will keep tweaking / trial and error
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2014, 01:23 AM)BRY1 Wrote: Thanks everyone for suggestions, I set the temp to 27 and humidifier to 5, some condensation in the pipe but no water swilling around, will keep tweaking / trial and error
From AirSense 10 clinical manual:

Climate Control Auto: Climate Control Auto is the recommended and default setting. Climate Control Auto is designed to make therapy as easy as possible, so there is no need to change the temperature or humidity settings
The Tube Temperature is set to 80°F (27°C) and Climate Control adjusts the humidifier output to maintain a constant, comfortable humidity level of 85% relative humidity while protecting against rainout (water droplets in the air tubing and mask).

Climate Control Manual: Designed to offer more flexibility and control over settings, Climate Control Manual lets the patient adjust the temperature and humidity to the setting which is most comfortable for them.
In Climate Control Manual, the Tube Temperature and the Humidity Level can be set independently however, rainout protection is not guaranteed. If rainout does occur, first try increasing the tube temperature. If the air temperature becomes too warm and rainout continues, try decreasing the humidity
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 93 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 220 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.