Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: As you are in bed, all hooked up, and waiting to fall asleep, what is your 'normal' breathing pattern?
This poll is closed.
Breathe, then Exhale, then Pause-and repeat.
64.29%
9 64.29%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale-then repeat.
28.57%
4 28.57%
Breathe, then Pause, then Exhale, then Pause (again)-then repeat.
0%
0 0%
Other - see post below
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What is Your Breathing Pattern?
RE: What is Your Breathing Pattern?
I have spent all day long trying to figure out my breathing pattern. inhale, pause, exhale--- no no that's not right, it's pause, exhale, inhale, --- Yeah, not really........

I think I finally figured it out..........

Inhale. Not dead.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 08:21 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: It seems like a pause after inhaling would oxygenate better than a pause after exhaling.

Slow inhaling and exhaling also has the advantage of more oxygen passing more receptors due to the venturi effect, than just air sitting motionless in your lungs.

In wakefulness I sometimes take a large breath; don't know why. It does seem to relieve stress, tho. And sometimes I take a lot of very shallow breaths in a row; again, don't know why. Sometimes this befuddles my CPAP. It also seems to think that clearing my throat or coughing is a snore.

One thing I know for sure, and that is if you spend too much time trying to figure all of this out, you may never get to sleep.

Hehe, if you look at the time I posted this - it's exactly what happened, laid in bed for 2+ hours and no sleep, so I gave up and came into my puter room, and wrote this thread.

I agree that inhale, pause, then exhale-repeat would seem to do a better job, but let's see you to to alter this behavior once it is in place. Of course there are random weird breathing cycles, but besides those, I firmly am one of the inhale, exhale, then pause-then repeat. The pause does seem to vary a bit, and without checking on my dream machine, I do spend more time on exhale than I do on inhale.

I can't stress that when using a bi-level machine, your 'IPAP' time (inhale only) is (I bet) only about 1/3rd total time, as 'EPAP' is everything else - exhale, pause, cough, holding breath when rolling over, etc... So in the higher pressures, it IS nice (in my book) - but remember, a lot of people seem to have real issues dealing with changing pressures, I do not.

Speaking of which, saw the sleep doc today, got my results from my last titration, and he's putting me on a ASV machine for two reasons - I have mostly centrals now, and one issue of strong pain meds mixing with OSA is the very real chance that I will simply stop breathing - so having a 'back-up rate' is a great idea.

Now, to decide which machine to choose? Am thinking the Resmed S9 VPAP ST-A is possibly my best choice (I want to stay with Resmed).
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
So when I look at my graphs which graph do I look at to see my inhale vs exhale time?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 11:07 PM)Galactus Wrote: So when I look at my graphs which graph do I look at to see my inhale vs exhale time?

Flow rate, high rate sample, zoom in.

(10-13-2014, 05:27 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I did notice that my lovely wife is different than I am, she is inhale, pause, exhale-repeat.

She's just sighing at your fine snail shell!
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, back in the 70s my breathing pattern was inhale, pause, then exhale...Back then, I always felt well oxigenated, almost like I was high or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 11:20 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 11:07 PM)Galactus Wrote: So when I look at my graphs which graph do I look at to see my inhale vs exhale time?

So this graph? 0= not breathing? + is inhale or exhale? How do I read that?

[Image: qx59i0.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 12:56 AM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 11:20 PM)justMongo Wrote:

+ is inhale. And, - is exhale
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 06:34 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 12:56 AM)Galactus Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 11:20 PM)justMongo Wrote: Flow rate, high rate sample, zoom in.

So, if I am reading the above correctly? He is: inhale, pause, exhale-repeat?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 07:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 06:34 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 12:56 AM)Galactus Wrote: So this graph? 0= not breathing? + is inhale or exhale? How do I read that?

Not much of a pause. Pretty much inhale, exhale, repeat.
We could do a Fourier analysis on the digital data!

The respiratory rate is somewhat variable.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 08:02 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 07:17 AM)Peter_C Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 06:34 AM)justMongo Wrote: + is inhale. And, - is exhale

Not much of a pause. Pretty much inhale, exhale, repeat.
We could do a Fourier analysis on the digital data!

The respiratory rate is somewhat variable.

I never spent much time on this chart before except to see events, but I have weird stuff like this. Go ahead and define that pattern, lol.

[Image: 2gx1i8k.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 43 1,066 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 510 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 53 2,660 02-18-2024, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Ynot
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 381 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.