Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Liner Benefits?
Mask Liner Benefits?
Hey everyone: I need to start using some mask liners on my Quattro Air. After a few days I started getting a pretty annoying burning rash from the seal. I'm curious, are there benefits in addition to the comfort? I'm wonder mainly about seal. I tolerate the full face better than nasal, but the leaks drive me batty. Experiences?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Liner Benefits?
I used a home-brew liner that I made from cotton and it helped me get over the nose bridge redness that came when I first started CPAP therapy. It worked very well for that purpose and I also noticed another benefit from using it - I found that any air leakage around the nose that usually caused me discomfort in my eyes was eliminated. I don't me to imply that the liner sealed those leaks better. It just diffused the air being leaked so that it was no longer noticeable or bothersome.

Bottom line (for me anyway), liners can make masks more comfortable and help in managing your tolerance for leaks, which can allow you to ignore small leaks that are well below the threshold that would affect therapy. I haven't used one since becoming acclimated to wearing the mask (and learning how to adjust it properly) but it was helpful before that.

Of course liners can help with any allergy problems to the mask cushion material.
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to add that mask liners allow you to shift the mask around without worrying about distorting the delicate seal on the mask. That's especially important for newbies since it takes a while to learn how to position the mask properly. Scooting it around can be very helpful when on that part of the learning curve.

It can also help those of us who tend to move around a lot while sleeping and sometimes bumping the mask causing it to leak. With a proper liner, you can play pretty rough with the mask before it leaks to the point of jeopardizing therapy or leaking to the point of waking you up.

You can buy liners or make your own out of an old tee shirt or similar material that doesn't unravel easily. I make mine, it's easy enough and the raw material supply is plentiful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 06:11 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I forgot to add that mask liners allow you to shift the mask around without worrying about distorting the delicate seal on the mask. That's especially important for newbies since it takes a while to learn how to position the mask properly. Scooting it around can be very helpful when on that part of the learning curve.

It can also help those of us who tend to move around a lot while sleeping and sometimes bumping the mask causing it to leak. With a proper liner, you can play pretty rough with the mask before it leaks to the point of jeopardizing therapy or leaking to the point of waking you up.

You can buy liners or make your own out of an old tee shirt or similar material that doesn't unravel easily. I make mine, it's easy enough and the raw material supply is plentiful.

Liners are good to use, my hubby used one with his nose mask until he switched over to the nasal pillows.

I do have some tips:
  • The mask seal should be wiped/washed daily.
  • The mask and mask seal should be washed weekly in a MILD soap, usually baby shampoo or body soap is best or whatever soap your face prefers
  • Washing your face before putting the mask may also help
  • The mask seal part (not the headgear) should be replaced 2 per month, in other words - twice a month.

This list assumes a person has the insurance or budget to replace the mask seal twice a month; if not then, even greater care needs to be taken to help the mask seal stay in good shape and clean.

Having the gear in good condition makes a HUGE difference, both in comfort and in your health.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benefits of changing masks BreakingBaddd 5 552 10-21-2023, 08:08 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Stimulants - Any Benefits? cmpman1974 22 1,772 07-14-2023, 01:13 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What changes to maximize therapy benefits? janelleb1985 6 631 05-16-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  6 months in, not feeling major benefits. Any advice? :( vegasboy 8 851 04-14-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: vegasboy
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Dreamwear FFM & Padacheek liner Summer 0 384 01-22-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Summer
  Benefits of Fixed Pressure?? Brazen 12 1,377 11-19-2022, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.