Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SmartCard Readers
SmartCard Readers
I'm trying to get better informed and more in control about my apnea. (Remstar Auto with C-Flex [uses smartcard]). Consequently I have downloaded the Encore software (thanks for that by the way) and now need to purchase a smartcard reader. I looked on Amazon and the reader from Respironics was not available, there were some on ebay (at from $30-$45). But Amazon had a generic smartcard reader for $20. Has anyone had experience with a generic reader and will the Encore software talk to it?

Thanks, CB
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SmartCard Readers
Too expensive Cbonilla....

I just ordered a couple of "eForCity SDHC / SD / MMC Memory Card Reader to USB 2.0 Adapter" for friends from Amazon for $1.99 a copy, free shipping. I expect them to work just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 12:04 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Too expensive Cbonilla....

I just ordered a couple of "eForCity SDHC / SD / MMC Memory Card Reader to USB 2.0 Adapter" for friends from Amazon for $1.99 a copy, free shipping. I expect them to work just fine.

Thanks -- does anyone know if this is even worth pursuing with this CPAP machine? What information is it capable of storing ?

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
Wait, is this a proprietary smartcard or ye ol' generic flash card? Take out the humidifier and turn the machine over. There should be some numbers on there somewhere that tells the model number. Let us know what the model number is.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Model # 1017453

I'm interested in finding out what data this unit is capable of saving to the smart card before I go any further down this road

CB

Attached Files Image(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
So I guess that would be a 450 model then? We need a PR expert in on this thread.

If you took that card out, could you put it into a card reader on a laptop? Can you tell?

Oh, does the machine say Phillips-Respironics or just Respironics?

Either way, really, if it is over 7yrs old, it is time to consider a new one. PR machines run cheaper than ResMed so you can stick with a brand you are familiar with. If you are paying out of pocket, check out Supplier #2 in the supplier's list (link at the top of every page). They sell used and open box machines. You'll still need a prescription but any doctor can write it, doesn't have to be a sleep doc.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The smartcard is about the size of a credit card. Not sure how much data it can store which is one of my concerns. Newer machines seem to use SD cards (my computer has an SD card reader) rather than smartcards so before I go adding more hardware I want to see what it write to the SD card

Thanks again

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2014, 02:04 PM)Cbonilla Wrote: The smartcard is about the size of a credit card. Not sure how much data it can store which is one of my concerns. Newer machines seem to use SD cards (my computer has an SD card reader) rather than smartcards so before I go adding more hardware I want to see what it write to the SD card

Thanks again

CB

You have to have the right smart card reader. Either the Respironics one or an equivalent. "Infineer" sticks in my mind, but I'm not sure which version. Device drivers are a problem, especially in Windows 8. Doesn't work with SleepyHead.

If your picture is right, it's what we call a "Legacy" REMstar model. Your Auto will report daily average AHI and pressure readings. It will not discriminate between central and obstructive apnea. I forget whether it records when apneas and pressure changes happen, or just nightly averages.

The correct models of PRS1 or ResMed S9 or A10 machines will show you airflow waveforms, when apneas occurred, and a lot of other info. They will use a regular SD card and will work with SleepyHead, which is a much better program than Encore.

Check my signature line for the right models to get if you decide to upgrade.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help. I was afraid that this unit might only capture something meaningless (e.g., total hours). While it's data capture may be on the light side it seems to capture AHI, so that's a start.

Now to figure out the driver issue. I am runnning Win 8 and have installed Encore (thanks for the dowload) and it seems to be running.

Does Encore when installed include the necssary drivers for the smartcard reader?

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
Does EncoreBasic work with a IoGear GSR-202 SmartCard reader under Windows 7 for anyone? I installed the USB IoGear GSR-202 and see it in the Windows Device Manager as a generic USB PC/SC SmartCard and the Windows SmartCard Services are shown as running under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, but I can't see or read my EncorePro SmartCard (It's from my older Respironics M-Series CPAP and it has never been read or downloaded since I have had it) and the reader only seems to want to install a generic Windows SmartCard driver. I don't have any problem reading or downloading into EncoreBasic from the Respironics SD card from my newer Respironics System One 60-Series CPAP. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Old EncorePro SmartCard data download eth2oski 2 808 05-12-2022, 08:14 AM
Last Post: eth2oski
  A warning about rogue USB SD-card readers Fats Drywaller 2 1,667 05-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller
  Generic Respironics Smartcard Reader armando.ntg 2 1,842 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Terry
  Encore Software, Smartcard Reader & Win 8 Cbonilla 12 6,002 12-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Cbonilla

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.