Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Encore Software, Smartcard Reader & Win 8
Encore Software, Smartcard Reader & Win 8
I was able to download the Encore software (thanks ApneaBoard) to interpret the data stored on my "Remstar Auto C-Flex" and successfully install it under Windows 8. Now I need the card reader. But before I buy the hardware that reads the smartcard, I'd like to know if anyone has had success using the card reader with Windows 8?

Thanks in advance

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Encore Software, Smartcard Reader & Win 8
I've not tried it. But, I see no reason it would not work.
DO LOCK the card before inserting it into the reader on a Windows 8 Machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but this is older machine that uses SmartCards (about the size of a credit card) rather than SD cards. Thus I need to buy a smartcard reader and have heard of problems with Windows 8

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cbonilla,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question but hang in there and someone will be along to help you, soon.
Best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2014, 10:22 AM)Cbonilla Wrote: Thanks, but this is older machine that uses SmartCards (about the size of a credit card) rather than SD cards. Thus I need to buy a smartcard reader and have heard of problems with Windows 8

CB

Hi Cbonilla,
Welcome to the forum.

I've never had to face this issue, as I'm using a newer unit that uses standard SD cards, but I seem to recall reading threads where people found these older card readers for around $100. I don't recall anything about drivers for Win 8.x, but if you can't find a reader that specifically indicates that it comes with Win 8 drivers, you'll not get far. This technology is older, and not much motivation for any vendor to spend effort to update drivers.

It may be better to look at a newer unit that does use an SD card, if that is practical. Supplier #2 (see link at top of page) sells "Gently Used" or open box units for significantly less than Retail, or you can watch Craig's List. This would also have the benefit of more updated treatment algorithms.

Good luck!

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get a smart card reader that uses a USB Port, I see no reason why windows 8 won't see it as a usb mass storage device and read it. You can get these all over eBay and Amazon very cheaply. You can likely even get one at the local best buy and they will take it back if it doesn't work.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-04-2014, 10:22 AM)Cbonilla Wrote: Thanks, but this is older machine that uses SmartCards (about the size of a credit card) rather than SD cards. Thus I need to buy a smartcard reader and have heard of problems with Windows 8

CB

Oh. You're hosed.
Update machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This one is $19.99 on Amazon and the Q&A says it works on windows 8, but there are many and likely many less expensive, not that hard to find.

[commercial link removed]
SCM-Microsystems-SCR331-Card-Reader

Here's another that will read smart cards and everything else so it won't be a one hit wonder purchase;

[commercial link removed] SGT121-Smart-Multi-Memory-Reader-3-Port

I know they are available for less as well, just don't have the time to search one down right this moment PM if you need help finding a cheap one.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. I seem to have read somewhere (this board?) that the encore software will only talk to the Remstar card readers. I think I'll wait for a few days to see if anyone else posts with first hand experience

CB
Post Reply Post Reply
Yikes! I have inadvertently left my sd card unlocked, inserting into my new computer which has Windows 8.1. Now my ResMed elite will not accept my sd card. What are my options?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 111 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,200 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  Contec CMS50E Pulse Oximeter Software John7 0 400 11-12-2023, 09:18 AM
Last Post: John7
  [Equipment] Which 24 Hr Oximeter to buy & PC/Tablet compatible software EasySleep 0 354 11-08-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: EasySleep
  Lowenstein Software shawsg 2 613 09-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: shawsg
  AirSense 11 Stopped Transmitting ?Related to Software Update? YankeeLaker 57 7,250 08-19-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: jijididit
  Lumis 100 and correct software for reading a sleep data?? doognibor 3 677 08-08-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Dire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.