Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
RE: Newbie - Questions about my CPAP I will be getting tomorrow
hi Amie87

You are fortunate to be diagnosed at 27 instead of 57... I had apnea all my life but only just found out at 56... I have only been a hosehead for a month but I still have a piece of advice... Big Grin If you can possibly manage, don't sleep without it after you take it home. You will get used to it *much* faster that way; you will be too tired to do anything else!

The stuff you have heard about data capable machines with heated humidifier... all golden, although I regret not finding out my issue sooner, I am glad I do not have to sacrifice my sinuses for sleep. For me, sinus issues, puffy eyes, and stuffy ears have been the biggest hurdles, and without the heated humidifier, I am not sure I could do it.

It is making a huge difference for me - from the first night, no getting up to pee (unheard of) woke alert with no headache and no feeling like i ran into a wall several times during the night... exciting stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply
Please remember, what you tell yourself is what you will believe~! I started in the bad old days when nothing was data capable, and mask choices were very few, and there wasn't any place like this to go to for help. 100% compliance is critical to it working for you~! When you get your mask, wear it around the house (without the hose), watching TV, reading a book, etc...plan on this becoming a new part of your life.

Some of us get an "Oh my God" moment on first use, some of us barely notice a change slowly in time - part of that depends on how bad you are. In my case I ended up also getting both nose and throat surgery, and while I saw changes right away, the damage caused to my heart took roughly ten years to get better.

All the horror stories come from the weak-willed people that are not willing to understand that this is not a choice, but a must do if they want to get better. The damage did not happen overnight, and neither will the recovery. We are all here to help! The biggest hurdle most have is finding a mask that they like that works well for them, so get a new different mask as often as you can, and don't be afraid to ask to try a different one if the one you get doesn't work well for you!

Best wishes for a better life~!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 12:01 AM)Amie87 Wrote: I just realized that my prescription is in cm, although you're in the states, are your prescriptions also in cm? As in your 15=15cm? lol

Everyone is measured in cm of H2O.... Except for Galactus of course. He's measured in liters per square meter. Almost the same thing though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yay! I can post again! Apparently new members can only post 7 times on their first day, does anyone know if I will be capped again?

Also, I got my set up today and I have to say, I'm please. I payed a lot more than I was anticipating, but I'm feeling pretty happy about it overall. I actually can't wait to go to bed tonight and see how I feel in the morning. I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up feel refreshed and ready to get up, I usually set three alarms every morning, just to get up. Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
The suspense is killing us Amie! What did you get?
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol. Soooo.....

*dun*dun*dun*

I got the ResMed AirSence10 Elite with the heated tube and humidifier. And a Fisher & Paykel Eson nasal mask

Apparently the upgraded unit (that I got) comes with a humidifier tank that does not need DI water, but I'm not sure what makes it special since it looks like the standard that comes with it, except it doesn't say DI Water Only on it. Lol. But I basically went with the upgraded unit for the data, heated tube and whatnot.

The unit itself actually looks nice, I won't mind having it sit on my bedside table.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 10:12 PM)Amie87 Wrote: Lol. Soooo.....

*dun*dun*dun*

I got the ResMed AirSence10 Elite with the heated tube and humidifier. And a Fisher & Paykel Eson nasal mask

Apparently the upgraded unit (that I got) comes with a humidifier tank that does not need DI water, but I'm not sure what makes it special since it looks like the standard that comes with it, except it doesn't say DI Water Only on it. Lol. But I basically went with the upgraded unit for the data, heated tube and whatnot.

The unit itself actually looks nice, I won't mind having it sit on my bedside table.

You'll love it , I have the same set up except I don't have the elite.
I have had the best sleep in the last two weeks than I have in years!
Sleep in peace!
Enjoy!
Mr. Van Winkle
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so excited to try it out. I also love the feature that I can turn it on so that they can access it remotely. If I'm having problems, they can view my data and either advise me on how to make the mask fit better, etc, or they can change the pressure, which is nice.

They lady tested it out on my in the office, it starts at a 4 and when I fall asleep it will go to a 7. I was expecting it to feel more forceful. :p

I'm excited. I heard people sometimes dream a lot when they first start wearing it. (I rarely ever recall dreaming in the mornings.)
Post Reply Post Reply
My starting auto pressure is 9 to 10 depending on mask and my max is 18.

7 max? My wife starts at 8.5. And yes we here in the States use PSI instead of CmH20. My machine breaks I just go fire up the air compressor and stick the hose in my nose.LOLLaugh-a-lot IM JOKING LOL.

However in the U.S mask head gear is made of barbed wire. That so the hospitals can charge insurance more for treatment of lacerations Laugh-a-lot

No really, you have a good machine, low pressure, just get a chinstrap and learn to read your own data with Sleephead or other software.

Should be papping along in no time. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Big Grin

My sleep doctor prescribed a range of 6-9 so the lady at the cpap clinic decided to start off with 7 but she can go as high as 7, in a month I have another sleep study to check for the correct pressure setting (thank god for OHIP, I'm sure sleep studies aren't cheap).

This machine comes with a program too, they send me email/text reports and I can log in online and check my data. It scores how well my mask fits, how many times I take it off during the night, the number of hours and I wore it, and how many times it senses I stopped breathing for a period of time. I think having that direct feedback will be nice and encouraging for compliance. And trouble shooting if I run into any problems.

I'm really happy so far about the mask, it's super soft and it doesn't obstruct my view that much. They way the seal is designed you don't need to have it tight on your face, which is nice. I guess we'll see how it does over night!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 10 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 372 11 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 128 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 266 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 199 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 477 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.