Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

S9 ASV or Aircurve ASV?
RE: S9 ASV or Aircurve ASV?
(12-16-2014, 06:57 PM)magictrkaz Wrote: I am assuming the ASV wouldn't be different for him and her since there is only one, but will it act more like a for his since it won't have the gentler modes as seen in the for her?

I have found no mention that any changes in the ASV or ASVauto therapy algorithms have occurred in the AirCurve 10 ASV versus the S9 VPAP Adapt. I believe there have not been any algorithmic changes.

However, for whatever reason, the standard A10 AutoSet algorithm may behave more aggressively in raising the EPAP pressure compared to the S9 AutoSet, so I suppose the A10 ASV when operating in ASVauto therapy mode may similarly raise EPAP more aggressively than the S9 Adapt operating in ASVauto therapy mode.

In ASVauto mode, the range for EPAP adjustment can always be reduced, if desired.

And as an alternative to using ASVauto mode, use of standard ASV therapy mode on the A10 ASV would maintain a fixed setting for EPAP, with Pressure Support (PS) still free to self-adjust whenever needed to counteract apneas and hypopneas. This is the mode I use.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Vaughn. Question, how would I know the range I should set the EPAP for? In the past my CPAP titration was 7. My most recent test had it to EEP AT 5 cm/H2O. with the ASV.

I got a call yesterday from the DME and she said they will be ordering the 10, but are waiting to see if insurance will pay for it or rent it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just as an FYI, we now have the Clinician Setup Manuals for all of the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 machines, including the AirCurve 10 ASV.

The post on how to obtain a manual is here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...1#pid94421

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-18-2014, 09:39 AM)magictrkaz Wrote: Question, how would I know the range I should set the EPAP for? In the past my CPAP titration was 7. My most recent test had it to EEP AT 5 cm/H2O. with the ASV.

I got a call yesterday from the DME and she said they will be ordering the 10, but are waiting to see if insurance will pay for it or rent it.

H magictrkaz,

If I had a prescription for End Expiratory Pressure (EEP or EEPAP or EPAP) in standard ASV therapy mode, I would use that, or I would ask if I could use ASVauto with Min EPAP being zero to 2 lower than my prescription for fixed EPAP setting and Max EPAP set to zero to two higher than my prescription for fixed EPAP.

On my machine which only has CPAP and standard ASV therapy modes, I raise EPAP when I see rattiness (stop and go) on the "Flow" waveform during exhalation, or obstructive apneas (which have no Flow during the apnea). Negative values of Flow are intended to represent the rate (in liters per minute) at which we are exhaling air from our lungs during exhalation.

On the new AirCurve 10 ASV machine, to keep the EPAP from raising too high, I would try using standard ASV mode (not AutoASV) at least temporarily if painful or troublesome air swallowing (aerophagia) or other problems arise from high pressure when using ASVauto therapy mode.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Vaughn. I looked at my RX and the range is 5 to 15. I am waiting to hear back from DME to get machine, but I will look at the settings when I get it. I had the S9 ASV for my sleep study and didn't notice any air swallowing, but did feel great in the morning compared to the cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both the S9 ASV and the AirSense ASV with about a week on the latter. My perception so far is that the AirSense seems a little less aggressive when ramping up to the backup rate. I find the AirSense more transparent. Other than that, the things I like about the newer unit is that the display shows the AHI at a glance when I turn the machine off, and I like the idea that SW could be upgraded on the unit. I'm still in rental mode for the new unit. If it is too pricey after insurance kicks in on the final purchase, I would be happy with just using my S9 model.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.