Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI vs Leak Rate
AHI vs Leak Rate
I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

1) Does the correlation make sense or is there likely something else going on?
2) Would a new type of mask help?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI vs Leak Rate
(01-17-2015, 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious what got you started on the Resmed Mirage FX when we have the successor Airfit P10 that is so much lighter, quieter and tolerant of side-sleeping? I have used the FX since it was first released, and it's a really good mask that does not require you to crank down the straps to limit leaks. You might be surprised how much better a looser fit might work...I'd still get over to the Airfit ASAP. It cut my AHI rate in half, and leaks have become a non-issue.

Leaks wake you up. It is every bit as disruptive to your sleep stage as a AHI event. The mask you can wear and never be aware of is the one that lets you rest best. Leak free nights are more refreshing than ones that arouse or wake you from blowing air. Leaks obscure the real AHI since the machine does not get pressure feedbacks. So a high leak rate can hide a AHI that is very high as a result of losing therapy pressure.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: 1) Does the correlation make sense or is there likely something else going on?

Thanks in advance.
1- Yes it does, any leak, large or small disturb or affect your sleep quality is not good
On the other hand if you're not disturbed and sleep quality is decent, leak does not matter much in scheme of things
Its a futile to aim for zero leak, around or lower 24 L/m is an acceptable leak as far as ResMed machines concerned

2- the proof of the pudding is in the eating, we will never know until we try
I've been using the same mask in my profile for over 4 years, tried few others but they did not come close in term of comfort and seal ...
Everyone is different, one man meat is another man poison
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 10:36 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm curious what got you started on the Resmed Mirage FX when we have the successor Airfit P10 that is so much lighter, quieter and tolerant of side-sleeping?
It was prescribed by my sleep Dr. As a newbie, I was not aware of options available, and I'm sure the doc was prescribing what he thought would be the best one, based on my sleep study.

Recently my DME called to say they would be sending me a new and improved mask next month, but I wasn't able to write it down. I'll call them next week and get the model# of the new one and talk it over with the doc. Clearly I have a leak problem, and I'm pretty sure it contributes to my next-morning fatigue level.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim, the problems with masks is that no one type will suit everybody. It really is a matter of trial and error. Every face is different - long, thin, round, fat, high cheekbones, square chin or pointy chin, big nose, crooked nose, facial hair ... the list goes on. Some people swear by nasal pillows - I can't stand them. I like a full face mask but others hate them.

The mask is the most subjective part of this whole exercise. Nobody can tell you what's the "best" - it's something you need to find out for yourself. If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 03:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.
Sage advice
Why I did not think of that Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2015, 03:20 AM)zonk Wrote:
(01-18-2015, 03:13 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: If possible make sure your DME has some kind of return policy so if it doesn't work after a couple of weeks you can return it and try something different.
Sage advice
Why I did not think of that Coffee

Zonk you probably didn't think of that because we don't have the luxury of such a service over here Sad

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2015, 09:30 PM)Jim Bronson Wrote: I've been using my CPAP for about two months, and I've noticed a correlation between late-session leak rates and my sleepiness and energy level the next day. Even though my AHI is always 3.0 or below, if I have a large leak near the end of the session, I feel lousy, but if I have a flatline leak profile for the whole session and no sleep interruption, I feel great. Recently, I've only noticed one such session, but the following day was excellent. The mask fits pretty tightly, but apparently it does leak when I move around. Two questions come to mind:

Thanks in advance.

Kim Bronson I know exactly how you feel and I have been going through it for just over a year.
Leaks are the bane of my life Sad
I have a good pillows mask at the moment the Nuance and I am loving it, and with a new chin strap firmly in place my leaks are looking better.
Keep your chin up and your mouth shut and good luck in finding your mask that suits you.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not sure I'd mind the nasal pillow type, but I won't know until I try. I took to the nasal mask right away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim- I know it's an older thread but if you get a chance can you post an update on how you handled the leakage issues, including experience with different masks? I imagine it may help others like me doing some basic due diligence to ID why we still feel tired with relatively low AHI stats, prior to posting for additional guidance.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 99 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.