Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

marks on my face
marks on my face
So when I first wake up I have a bunch of indents on my face- I did loosen up the straps- I am at the point where the straps are at the loosest(is that a word?) without it falling off my face-
But I still wake up with indents- is that just normal and I need to deal with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: marks on my face
(01-21-2015, 06:12 AM)cookie810 Wrote: So when I first wake up I have a bunch of indents on my face- I did loosen up the straps- I am at the point where the straps are at the loosest(is that a word?) without it falling off my face-
But I still wake up with indents- is that just normal and I need to deal with it?

I've got so many wrinkles I don't notice any mask marks. oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cookie810,
You can get strap pads to lessen or prevent marks on your face. The pads attach to your mask straps with Velcro. You might try googling pad a cheak and check them out to see if they have something that will help you.
Hang in there for other suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm afraid it's a common problem and there is no easy answer. From what I gather, the more sodium you have in your diet, the worse this condition will be but it's also exacerbated by other factors. The pressure on your facial tissue forces the retained moisture out and it takes quite a while for it to return once you remove the pressure. I notice it not only causes the facial marks where the mask lands but it also give me some pronounced bags under my eyes. Both of those blessings disappear when I remove the mask and rise to meet the day but it takes up to two hours for me to be my beautiful self once again. Wink

I suppose a low sodium diet might lessen the effects but I tried that for a few hours once and decided I liked Doritos & stuff much too much to ever give them up. I weigh 150 lbs. so weight isn't my problem. I suspect the age of my capillaries is my major causative factor but I can't do a lot about that. I'm 78 years young and planning on living forever...so far so good.

Once you get used to looking ugly, it's not so bad. I try not to look in the mirror until mid morning...YMMV

BTW, The bright red patch on my nose that the mask creates works like a "red herring" to distract folks from noticing my mask marks. There's good in everything, you just gotta look hard for it.

Click here for even more depressing details.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: useless.gif]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 06:12 AM)cookie810 Wrote: But I still wake up with indents- is that just normal and I need to deal with it?

Two things. First, no one else looks that closely at your face that early in the morning. We don't even do that with our spouses. If you're single and doing the dating thing that might be the exception. So what I'm saying is the problem is not as bad as it seems and in that regard yes, just deal with it.

Second, try a different mask. One that matches the contours of your face better might not leave marks as pronounced.

I had at one point gone to a nasal pillows mask that left no marks. But then I had to add a chin strap that left marks, and then the mask was discontinued. So, back to lots of marks from both the mask straps and the chin strap. But as I said they fade fast after awakening. Within a few minutes you are the only one observing closely enough to see them. Soon after that they fade away and no one could see them even if they tried. Trying to see them, by the way, is what we are doing when we look in the mirror to see how bad they are. Smile

Recently I had to switch to a FFM because the chin strap just wouldn't stop the mouth-leaking. To my surprise I now have no marks, or possibly marks on the one side I happened to be sleeping on just before I got out of bed.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly, strap marks and mask marks are just part of it. If they do not go away after an hour, try some of the things Trish suggested. Or switch to a different mask with better headgear that fits you better. We all have different facial structures and what fits me, won't fit you. You don't want the mask so loose it leaks just so you don't have marks.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
make sure you stay hydrated, and use a good moisture rich lotion on your face, the red marks are a form of dermatitis, take care of your skin and you should not have any problems. I just went through this and realized with winter weather i had not been drinking as much water so i got dried out and thats when the red marks stayed for several days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 747 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.