Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hypopnea
hypopnea
on my sleepyhead event breakdown I have a lot of hypopneas three fourths of the graph is hypopneas is this normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hypopnea
Not really. Hypopneas are one step away (so to speak) from becoming a "not breathing" event, whether it is a Central/Clear or Obstructive apnea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
my hypopnea was 2.75 apnea was 0.41
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 12:47 PM)rml313 Wrote: on my sleepyhead event breakdown I have a lot of hypopneas three fourths of the graph is hypopneas is this normal?

In general, hypopnea matters, but it's less harmful than outright apneas. Your AHI is fairly low, even counting the hypopneas. If you use SleepyHead, you can look at the hypopneas and see how long and how complete they are.

With your total AHI at a little over 3, it's probably not particularly serious. Most of us never get to zero.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnea is very shallow breathing and is at the discretion of your CPAP's software to try and determine if you are really breathing or not. Normally a pressure increase is what is recommended to reduce these. Just remember, that pressure increases can produce pressure central apneas until your body becomes use to the new pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is an interesting breakdown, and probably a burning question for your next sleep doc visit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that hypopneas can be of either the obstructive or clear airway variety.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not sure the machine I have scores reduced breathing as a hypopnea if there is no flow limitation sensed.

anyway, recently, most of my events are Hypopnea.

last night in a 3 hour period, I had 0.0 OA, 0.0 CA, and 1.8 H. Actually a great result for me.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2015, 06:34 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: I am not sure the machine I have scores reduced breathing as a hypopnea if there is no flow limitation sensed.

anyway, recently, most of my events are Hypopnea.

last night in a 3 hour period, I had 0.0 OA, 0.0 CA, and 1.8 H. Actually a great result for me.

Those numbers would be a birthday for me.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,149 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,112 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,044 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Symptoms] Rolling "flutter" sensation on apnea/hypopnea, falling asleep ewriter 0 354 09-06-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  What Makes This Period of Time an Hypopnea Event? Trevor G 1 413 07-23-2023, 03:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  AHI versus "mean apnea–hypopnea duration" (MAD) Henrikc 1 527 03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  CPAP treatment for Hypopnea and Clear Airway silvermangb 3 1,440 10-02-2022, 03:41 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.