Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for tips how to sleep with CPAP machine
Looking for tips how to sleep with CPAP machine
I've had the sleep study got one of these machines and I just cannot seem to fall asleep with it on. The mask isn't really uncomfortable I just seem to lay there with it on till I finally give up take it off and pass out. Is there a trick or something that might help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for tips how to sleep with CPAP machine
Welcome to the forum jason0923!

Your problem is VERY common for new CPAP users. I would suggest that you wear the mask while you're relaxing prior to bedtime. This will allow you to get desensitized to the mask.

Keep us posted of your progress. Also, when you get the time, please fill out your equipment profile. At some point it may be needed to answer a question.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jason0923,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but as you read or watch tv during the evening, wear your mask and use the machine. This will help your body get used to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and stick with it, it will get better.
Much success to you as you work toward getting used to your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea I'll fill all that out later when I'm at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have time during the day wear the mask for an hour or two, the quicker you get desensitized the easier it will be to fall asleep. Trust us, it comes with time, you will get to the point at bedtime when you put the mask on you'll be out like a light and won't give it a second thought. As soon as you update your equipment info we may be able to provide some further guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 08:59 AM)jason0923 Wrote: I've had the sleep study got one of these machines and I just cannot seem to fall asleep with it on. The mask isn't really uncomfortable I just seem to lay there with it on till I finally give up take it off and pass out. Is there a trick or something that might help?

A couple of things:

One is equipment based. If your mask is not comfortable for you, do not hesitate in asking your provider for a different style. Or even the same style in a different format. I would try a pillows mask such as the Resmed P10. Do whatever is needed to feel comfortable.

The other is attitude based. Understand that this isn't a situation of having "one of these machines," this is a prescribed therapy that can absolutely save your life. Embrace the opportunity and make it work for you by working with it.

You will be fine, and you will succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
A double shot of whiskey works to help you get to sleep without worrying about the mask or much of anything else but unfortunately it makes the effects of apnea worse than usual. I don't advocate for that method but some may find it useful, especially those who don't normally consume alcohol. For those who do, it may take more than a double. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
At first set a long ramp time, say 30 minutes. This will allow you to become accustomed to the resistance to breathing out that can seem weird at the start..

Don't think about the machine, just relax. If you sleep on your side have your head on the edge of the pillow. Don't have the mask too tight.

Try not to give up, once you get used to it you'll be amazed by the difference in your life.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thing that helps some is to have some background noise or whatever that drowns out the sound of your breathing. They have noise generator machines with a selection of pleasant sounds that are intended to relax you and make you sleepy. Walmart sells them as do others. Normal price < $30. I have a clock radio with that feature built in that plays the sound for one hour and then shuts off. It helped me a great deal when first starting this therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have some JD and was considering it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,342 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 156 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.