Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Irritating cough
Irritating cough
Hi, I started with my new equipment last night for the first time. As soon as I started using the machine, within a few minutes I started coughing: a dry irritating cough that made it impossible for me to continue after about 10 minutes. I disconnected everything and slept sitting up in bed for several hours (first time in YEARS mind you!). Any suggestions as to what can be causing the cough? I had the humidifier on 2 and the machine was level with head when lying down. I am also using the air con as it's pretty hot at present. Help![/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Irritating cough
Kick the humidity to 4-5. Dry air could be doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!

I had the the same problem and had to increase my humidity setting. Ultimately, I got a heated hose for my machine and that made all the difference in the world.

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ozartblue,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might turn your humidity up a notch or two and see if that will help.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Ozartblue,

I'll agree....try upping the humidity and possibly the warmth of the air, if you can. I'm not familiar with the REMStar machines, but if it is anything like my S9 or Mrs. Psycho's F&P Icon, then there has to be a way to do it.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 05:27 PM)ozartblue Wrote: Hi, I started with my new equipment last night for the first time. As soon as I started using the machine, within a few minutes I started coughing: a dry irritating cough that made it impossible for me to continue after about 10 minutes. I disconnected everything and slept sitting up in bed for several hours (first time in YEARS mind you!). Any suggestions as to what can be causing the cough? I had the humidifier on 2 and the machine was level with head when lying down. I am also using the air con as it's pretty hot at present. Help![/size][/font]

The main function of an air conditioner is to remove water from the air. That, in conjunction with your low humidity setting could be enough to start you coughing. My suggestions would be - 1. Have your machine lower that your head. 2. Increase your humidity setting until you notice droplets in your mask, then reduce it a step or two. 3. Alternatively use a humidifier with a vaporant which will raise the room's humidity and add a soothing scent to the air. Coughing is usually a sign of throat irritation, or low oxygen in the lungs.
You don't say where you live in AU and location either inland or coastal is very important when considering the water vapour content of the air you breathe. - Stick with it & good luck.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,983 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cough while using pjhiett 1 551 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough legrunt 6 1,050 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  Could humidifier cause a cough? StevesSp 4 937 07-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: factor
  [CPAP] Low oxygen on CPAP/hearth palpitation and cough + Oscar reading merlinakis 19 2,487 06-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Last Post: merlinakis
  Cough since starting PAP? Worrying? tierdal 6 792 04-23-2021, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sore throat/cough with humidifier Davidacarrick 5 1,138 08-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Davidacarrick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.