Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed 10 Oximetry Calibration
Resmed 10 Oximetry Calibration
I just got my Resmed 10 Air with Oximetry up and running, however, I am not sure the SPO2 data is accurate. Been getting detailed SPO2 data for 5 days now.

I compared the data to a finger pulse OX, and put 6LPM in the Resmed 10 Input Mix adapter, and the finger unit jumped to 99%, where the Resmed never went over 97. I tried cranking it up to 9LPM, and same result. Finger unit was at 99, and resmed around 97.

Is there a calibration that can be done in a Sleep clinic or at home?

The resmed manuals are very limited.

The ResScan version 5.2 software does not let me set the oximetry correction or offset like + or - a value. Is this done with a special setup or software?

FYI A WARNING: When you do open and Set your SD device card to anything different that what was there, it wipes out the data on the card when you save the settings to the card. (I assume this is to provide a NEW baseline for the new settings).

I always have a cumulative backup of all of my data....

I was able to copy old to the new card (saving the settings first), and I have a full set on the SD card. I copied the top level setting to the card after a old data restore to the card.

Also, I have used clone 4G cards and the resmed is happy to use and collect data on them VS the 2G card.

Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 10 Oximetry Calibration
Hi jimbrandt2000,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your questions but hang in there, someone will be along to help.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 09:13 PM)jimbrandt2000 Wrote: FYI A WARNING: When you do open and Set your SD device card to anything different that what was there, it wipes out the data on the card when you save the settings to the card.

Hi jimbrandt2000, welcome to the forum.

To avoid having ResScan mess with your card, I suggest never using ResScan to set your machine's settings. Simply use the Clinician Menu on the machine itself.

Regarding oximeter calibration, I haven't seen a procedure anywhere.

I would simply make a note of the results you discovered.

As a double check, I would compare readings on the two oximeters while wearing them at the same time (but on different fingers). Then, I would repeat, except switching which fingers the oximeters were on.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 03:20 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-22-2015, 09:13 PM)jimbrandt2000 Wrote: FYI A WARNING: When you do open and Set your SD device card to anything different that what was there, it wipes out the data on the card when you save the settings to the card.

Hi jimbrandt2000, welcome to the forum.

To avoid having ResScan mess with your card, I suggest never using ResScan to set your machine's settings. Simply use the Clinician Menu on the machine itself.

Regarding Oximeter calibration, I haven't seen a procedure anywhere.

I would simply make a note of the results you discovered.

As a double check, I would compare readings on the two oximeters while wearing them at the same time (but on different fingers). Then, I would repeat, except switching which fingers the oximeters were on.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Here is update on what I had to do to verify the Resmed 10 Oximetry Module:

So first, when you use Resscan to set the Airsense 10 to a different pressure setting, it will ask you if you want to delete all of your data, and I just say yes, and the SD card has nothing but a settings directory on it after this is done.

There is no CLINICAL MENU with the ResMed S10 front panel to reset your "Prescription" so you have to put a SD card with the SETTING directory which is no problem via ResScan setup. If anyone knows that this is a feature you can enable, let me know how to do this on the Resmed 10 Airsense Autoset.

I then use a nice utility like Winmerge and copy back all of my saved data and Winmerge only updates missing files (pretty much all of the data). After inserting this hybrid card, the machine will ask you to verify that the chip has new settings, and it set the Pressure settings, AND your data is all there...

SO, Now on to Calibration:

The literature of the ResMed indicates with the Standard Kit:
ResMed Module,
Nonin XPOD 3011LP,
Reusable Sensor 8000SX series (3M cable),
you will get +- 2 SPO2 and +- 3 for Pulse.

There is no good way to calibrate this unit, and since my numbers were low, the doctor ordered an at home Oximetry overnight study. This is done with a calibrated unit you take home. The next day I handed the technicians the overnight unit with their chip, and the resmed SD card. They then found flat spots on the overnight where O2 levels were not changing very much. They looked at middle, high and low areas of the overnight and gave me a general guideline:
The resmed was about 1 to 1.5 LOW compared to the overnight calibrated unit. So the data off the resmed is in tolerance.

Seems I personally need more tests, so I will be doing a overnight with simulated high altitude oximetry, as my numbers at 6000 feet (Lake Tahoe) were not good.

The doctor increased my min and max pressure by 1.5 and will be monitoring that at sea level. At altitude of 6000 or more, it was recommended to increase MIN and MAX by 2 on each end.

I really would like to see BOTH ResScan AND Sleepyhead export the SPO2/Pulse/Date/TIME to a CSV file. I can run all sorts of reports from an excel file. I could even correct the data for the inaccuracies. In particular, I could also easily sync the time and date to see how different devices are doing on the data.

So the Resmed was not that far off, and I would like to see a "Oximetry and Pulse Adjustment Plus or minus" on the setup for the device so the data is converted to a corrected value before stored on the SD CARD. I would like it in tenths of a unit, not whole units. You can dial in your machines +- issues real quick with that feature and not have to remember to correct the data mentally.

Will post more when I get it.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found the resmed airsense 10 guide and found the clinical menu:

resmed-airsense-10-clinical-guide.pdf

You just hold the home and tunable dial in for 3 seconds and it shows up.

You can set the clock, and pressure ranges there...

Pretty easy.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Symptoms] Transitional CSA - oximetry freaking me out. How low is too low? Apprenticepragmatist 8 733 02-27-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Diagnosis] Need help with Pulse Oximetry monitoring results NickAsleepPol 1 438 11-14-2023, 05:14 AM
Last Post: NickAsleepPol
  Would like to add Pulse Oximetry to my monitoring Boreas 3 590 11-13-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Boreas
  Does Airsense 10 require periodic calibration checks? CorruptAlligator 4 1,255 10-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,584 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  Chronic Fatigue despite good CPAP and Oximetry statistics. MoldyBagel 2 648 08-27-2023, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MoldyBagel
  OSCAR Oximetry settings has no effect on SPO2 event number JohnAT 5 665 08-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Last Post: JohnAT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.