Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[How to] Using the Oracle Oral Mask for Ear and Eye Problems
RE: Using the Oracle Oral Mask for Ear and Eye Problems
I guess I'll have to weight the pros and cons of these two masks.....drooling vs. claustrophobia!
Unsure
I have a feeling before the years end, I will have a drawer full of masks!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm contemplating dacryocystorhinostomy, or enlargement of the lacrimal duct, and have read some things that indicate that "air regurgitation" can be a problem for cpap users.While I believe everything I read on the internet, I wonder if what you are saying is that after many years of successful cpap use, I have learned to control the flow of air up into my lacrimal duct and out across my eyes?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 07:52 PM)herefishy Wrote: I'm contemplating dacryocystorhinostomy, or enlargement of the lacrimal duct, and have read some things that indicate that "air regurgitation" can be a problem for cpap users.While I believe everything I read on the internet, I wonder if what you are saying is that after many years of successful cpap use, I have learned to control the flow of air up into my lacrimal duct and out across my eyes?

I doubt there's any control over your nasolacrimal duct.

There is some control over whether air pressure in your mouth and throat can get up into the nose, but if you're using a nasal mask, that wouldn't matter.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, a little more info, please? If I can keep the air out of my nose by blocking my soft palate, won't it keep it out of my nasolacrimal duct? I don't seem to have any trouble with this as I can speak with my air blowing. I've updated my profile, and now use the Activa Lt, which works very well for me, but I don't understand the air flow aspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
archangel,
I am still pondering trying the Oracle. Your thoughts on this please.....
With the Nasal Pillow Mask, I have learned to "not" be a mouth breather and breath through nose only, but if I got used to using an Oracle, I would then be doing the opposite?
I am afraid that during daytime awake hours I would in time become a mouth breather and not breath through my nose...even though the Oracle would help with the lacrimal duct problem I seem to have. Oh-jeez
Thanks for your input.

OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2015, 09:24 AM)herefishy Wrote: So, a little more info, please? If I can keep the air out of my nose by blocking my soft palate, won't it keep it out of my nasolacrimal duct? I don't seem to have any trouble with this as I can speak with my air blowing. I've updated my profile, and now use the Activa Lt, which works very well for me, but I don't understand the air flow aspect.

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The soft palate blocks the back of your nose. If you have a nasal or full face mask, there will still be air pressure in your nose even if your soft palate is closed.

Look at the picture in post 6 in this thread.

If you kept your soft palate closed while using a nasal mask, you wouldn't get any air into your lungs from the CPAP, and you'd still get pressure on the nasolacrimal duct.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am back with the Oracle and doing good. My sinuses demand that I use this mask. They were becoming so messed up it was affecting my thinking, balance and more! My life is slowly returning to normal...thanks to the Oracle.

I do not find myself breathing through my mouth during the day.

I discovered that the cheap electronic wipes (Smudge Off from Walmart) to help with drooling. I am a back sleeper so do not have to deal with that very often. I get 3 liners from each wipe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Barbz,
Thanks for the update. Good that it's working for you.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,853 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,570 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 999 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.