Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Windows 8.1 problem Resmed machine
Windows 8.1 problem Resmed machine
I recently bought a Windows 8.1 laptop because the old laptop had died.

I have Resmed 4.3 software.

I am able to read the Resmed data card and review data.

The datacard when inserted back into the S9 Elite gives a message asking whether I want to erase the card or remove it and run the machine. I choose Yes and I am ready to go.

Problem is that I want to change my settings.

1. I put in the data card.

2. Choose settings.

3. Settings window appears.

4. I make my change.

5. Then I go to apply it.

6. A window pops up and says it needs to erase the chip.

7. it certainly does erase the chip. No device is anylonger indicated on it and Rescan won't recognize it, and there are no settings. I figures out how to get by and keep using the chip and getting the data. I can't lock the chip since then I can't write to it new settings.

I have been reading the threads on this group, and I understand that some hidden file is being written to the datachip by windows 8.1

I still need to change my settings, what can be done?

Also, I know Windows 8.1 is stupid, I think everyone knows it is stupid. I just don't want to dwell on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Windows 8.1 problem Resmed machine
Hi sleepy1235,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there, someone will be along to help you with your problem.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepy1235, welcome to the forum.

As a general rule, always lock your card before inserting it in the computer so that nothing unfortunate can happen to it. It's better to adjust any settings directly on the machine, rather than going through ResScan. (I've found that ResScan is a bit erratic in writing settings, and my therapist advised me to do it on the machine. They don't use ResScan to change settings at the clinic).

Go to this link: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual and request the clinician manual for your machine. As there are hundreds of different manuals available, make sure you read the instructions carefully and request the right one. Once you've got the manual you'll see that it's very easy to make adjustments and you won't run the risk of corrupting your data card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anytime you poke your card into a Windows 8.1 computer it will write, or attempt to write, a file onto the card. Even if you do nothing else other than poke it in and take it right back out.

Then you will have to reformat the card on the Resmed machine.

Unless:

1. You remember to "lock" the card before you put it in the windows machine and unlock it before you put it back into the Resmed machine.

or

2. You delete the dumb file that Windows 8.1 puts on your card before you remove it from the computer.

or

3. You tell the operating system you don't want it to do that anymore.

I use option 2. To accomplish that, I created a simple DOS script that deletes the stupid file and runs Sleepyhead, or Rescan whichever I am using at the time.

The DOS script looks like this:

@echo off
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\SleepyHead 0.9.8-1"
SleepyHead-OpenGL.exe
del "g:\System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid"
rmdir "g:\System Volume Information"

You would copy this into a notepad document, change the file references from "g:" to "e:" or wherever your card is assigned, then save as name "sleepy.bat"

You would do a similar thing for Rescan, just substituting:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ResMed\ResScan3
ResScan.exe

for the first two lines.

You cannot really break anything so give it a try. But if you really aren't comfy doing this, then use option #1 which works swimingly.
For those occasions where you forget to lock you card, don't worry about it. The Resmed will reformat, copy all the important stuff back to the card, and begin recording the detailed stuff anew. You will only lose the 10 days or so of detailed stuff that was on the card before. After 10 days, you'll be back completely to normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deep Breathing, thanks so much.

Retired Guy, thanks for the input. I don't know if I will use it since I am afraid of messing things up. However, I have someone who is really good with computers and I will have him review your suggestion.

I am a chemical engineer and also I read the scientific press. I am doing investigations into the entire biomedical engineering aspects of these systems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Retired guy, I will lock the card. That part of your advice I will certainly follow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to disable the Win8.1 system write feature. It starts out for the Pro version but has ways to disable it in the Home edition further down the article.

How to prevent System Volume Information to be Written:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-sy...folder-usb
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,327 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,322 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,456 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 265 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.