Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

The Hen's First night with Nuance Nasal Mask
RE: The Hen's First night with Nuance Nasal Mask
(01-31-2015, 09:58 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: No one mentioned compliance, or lorded it over me. It didn't matter because I use the machine every chance I get.

QAL

Compliance doesn't matter to me either. I am averaging 9 hours per night. Why would I not participate in treatment if that is what has been prescribed? Today I even took my first nap, and, I used the CPAP.

On another note - that drives me crazy. The dr's office instructed once I got the CPAP to call their office to make a follow up appointment in 3 to 4 weeks. I did that - three weeks ago. Today I get a letter in the mail that the dr wants me to call the office to make a follow up appointment - argghhh!

On a happy note, I made weekend plans to go to Ogunquit Maine the end of April - it will be first time CPAPPY is travelling with me Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-29-2015, 04:23 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: [font=Times New Roman][size=large]

I do wish they had an easy release or some such to get in and out of the Nuance.
Because of the sticky anti-slide hair part and me having girl hair, it is painful/challenging to slip on without changing mask adjustments. I did try rolling the back part to the silkier side to put over head, and then flip to the sticky side, but that was only so/so.

Having "girl hair" (mid-back length), I was stymied at first at how to keep the headgear from sliding off my head entirely. Solved that by pulling my hair through the straps, that keeps it on nicely. The back strap has folded in half so I don't have to deal with the sticky-ish side. The gel inserts on the side bugged me so they got yanked out after a couple weeks. Works for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Anankae, I do that when I wear my p10 ! I didn't stay with Nuance long enough to try it. I have not heard a single person who liked the Gel inserts long term but I'm sure they're out there.

Others- Compliance not an issue for me either in that I avg over 9 hours a day every day. I would be peeved if I was told different things though, and Sparkle, when I first read you say somewhere else, about the 21 days having to be consecutive, that worried me a bit, and it seems wrong...I hope that isn't so, even though I am compliant. How could that work? I mean if a person missed one night on day 9/10 or later in the 30 days, they'd be "non-compliant"...that makes no sense and it would be horribly discouraging.

Nocturia, simply means peeing at night, and the Nocturia with Apnea often has Polyuria as a feature, which means a large volume of urine compared to usual, each time. That was me (and sometimes still is as i'm not "there" yet) I'd go and go and it would be nearly clear. Happened when I napped too but not other times. So I was put on oxybutynin (sp?) for about 8 years, and it hurt my teeth terrible (causes dry mouth which leads to dental woes) and now they've decided that oxybutynin and other drugs in it's class can contribute to the development of dementia. GREAT.

So yes, women with Nocturia (and men, though they also need to be checked for prostate and some need to be checked for diabetes, though it is not night time only) should keep apnea in their minds as a possibility. And if need be, as I did, come prepared with pubmed studies saying the link is established. It's not just a theory, it's been shown again and again since the early 90's at least.

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
Susan, was wondering how you were getting along with the Nuance. Besides the sticky strap problem, did it help with your TN? I think I will stick with my P10 unless something better comes along.
Now about the Nocturia, I look back over the years and wonder why my Doctor (after many complaints from me about having to get up every other hour to use the bathroom ) that he didn't zero in on Sleep Apnea?? He would just say I was getting older...bla, bla, bla.....
I believe I've had Apnea at least 10 years before being diagnosed. Just now discovering the damage it has done to me.

Sparkle, It was explained to me that the compliance period would be any consecutive 30 day period within the first 90 days, with at least 4 hours usage a night. It may be different depending on your insurance. It only matters if your in a situation like being on Medicare where they pay for the rental of the machine for the first 13 months. You don't actually own it until after that. If you aren't in compliance, then they will stop paying.
Oh-jeez[/b]
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose,
I don't think the Nuance is for me. The sort of rubberyness (even though they are silicone) of the gel pillows on the nose, was irritating. And I felt like no matter how loose I made it, and I laid it on my face, no strap tightened, with machine one, and tightened straps only enough to have the leaking stop, my nose felt jammed up into my face. It seemed very well made, the headgear seemed to be well designed, I liked the two different adjustment points esp after the sort of sloppy (but COMFY) p10. But at days end, I'm back with the p10. Playing with sticking hair out between the two straps to keep them from sliding up or down back of head. It's holding on okay. I'm sort of learning how to move in my sleep I guess, so as not to press the pillows on the p10 to cause leaks. I have a small amount of large leaks but in the acceptable range. You?

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.