Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I have no clue and need guidance.
RE: I have no clue and need guidance.
Hi Not2, nice to have you join us around here.

The DS560 is a fully featured machine. So you can set it to a range of pressures. Having only done a home test, that's what should have been done, as your specific needs haven't been fully determined.

Start by requesting the manual for this machine from the links at the top if you haven't already done so.

Then you can of course simply do nothing because that's what Mr. Doctor told you.

However, if it were my machine and my cute little body hanging onto the end of the air tube, I would set the machine to apap mode, minimum pressure of 8, maximum pressure of 14. I might also set the EPR to allow for a reduced pressure on exhale. I'm not sure it's designated the same on your machine as it is on mine, but the idea is when you exhale the pressure is automatically lowered by a set amount. I would set it to 3, giving me an exhale range of 5 - 11, and an inhale range of 8 - 14. Then I would begin using the machine making sure I do indeed use it anytime I'm laying down, no exceptions. I would keep track of my results and provide that information to the nice folks back here on this site. I would make no other changes for a while until the machine, mask and I have become one.

Also from the links at the top, be sure to install the Sleepyhead software so you can begin monitoring your own progress on a daily basis for awhile until you are comfortable in how everything is going.

Then I would immediately make an appointment with Mr. Doctor, and when he asks how I am feeling, I would respond "Fine, thank you.. How are you feeling?" ....and leave.
Post Reply Post Reply
What retired guy said, except on your machine EPR is actually called Aflex. The range is 0 to 3 and increasing number provides more pressure relief at transition from inhale to exhale. Leaving your maximum pressure open for now lets the machine auto-titrate just as it did during your test. It won't go higher than necessary, and since your doctor set your pressure to 16, it's likely that matched your maximum pressure need at some point.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome not2shygrrrl,
I have the 560 auto CPAP. I had to get my doctor to write script stating auto CPAP, but he left pressure open at 4 to 20. The script should state Auto and patient choice.
I found out pretty fast that a starting pressure of 4 is not great. You will feel as if you are not getting enough air. So once you get your machine, check back here and someone will help you with pressure settings. I agree that having a fixed pressure of 16 when starting out new is terrible. I wonder if the person prescribing this pressure has even been on CPAP? You need the best chance possible to succeed. If you really need to be on 16 to clear an event, the auto machine will take care of that, but I personally would set it from maby 5 or 6 to start and leave the top number open.
Then watch your data on sleepyhead. You will be able to see where you pressure goes. The you can adjust accordingly. My advice is only from my own experience and everyone is different. Bottom line is...fight for a fully data capable auto machine with heated hose! There are a lot of people on this forum who will help you.
Good luck
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi not2shygrrl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know this is a very trying time and I'm sorry you have gone through so much, but just hang in there and keep coming back to this board; as you have already found out, there is great help and information here.
Just stick with CPAP therapy, it will get better.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 135 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 167 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,380 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 496 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 413 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541
  Programme change guidance to eliminate apneas FijiFarmer 1 245 01-01-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.