Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cpap causing burping and maybe gas after weight loss
RE: Cpap causing burping and maybe gas after weight loss
I'm totally new here, so bear with me. I'm not sure I'm doing this the right way.

I have been losing (a lot!) of weight over the last year, and kept complaining to my sleep doc about what felt like air "bubbling up" my throat while using my CPAP at 14. It didn't feel like a burp, though, no abdominal/diaphragmatic action going on. It frequently caused my mouth to open, and my hubby to complain of what he called a "roaring noise." My doc said "It's normal." Huh. Didn't use to be, before my weight loss...

Well, after more than a year of complaints and a lot of begging, I finally got an order for a 6 week Auto-titrate trial. All of the symptoms stopped! I feel like a new person. My husband is sleeping a lot better, too, without my sound effects.

My my average pressure dropped from 14 to 6! I think that the pressure being too high was definitely causing my problems. Now I am trying to get an auto-titrate machine permanently, especially as I still have more weight to lose. My old CPAP is 9 years old, so the insurance should approve it. Just haven't met that high deductible yet.

Love that APAP!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cpap causing burping and maybe gas after weight loss
Great job Mrs. Singer. Yes, it does sound like you would be well advised to use an auto-titrating machine. If meeting the deductable, etc is a big problem, then consider picking up a used/rebuilt S9 Autoset from one of our on-line suppliers. You can save a boatload of money compared to buying a new one and it's probably deductable if not reimbursable by your insurance company.

I would really like to join you folks on the "lost weight" thing, but right now, with the advent of Spring, I fear my weight is "Springing forward" a dab. Next month maybe.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 270 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 260 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 421 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,759 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.