Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP and Eye Irritation
Sad 
CPAP and Eye Irritation
Question for all HoseHeads???

Do you or have you ever suffered from eye irritation while on CPAP?

Now let me start by saying that my therapy is going well. Have gone from untreated AHI of 33 to usually below 1.0 most days. Feel fairly good and adapting well to P10 mask after figuring out I needed a size small nasal pillow instead of extra small. Works better and leak rate good.

The last couple of months have been trying to say the least. Upon waking each morning, my eyes are red, itchy, puffy, and just hurt. It sometimes feels like sandpaper is in them. I also use dry eye drops and eye gels/ointment at night. They don't seem to help. UGH! And no, I didn't start out with dry eyes.

I suspect that the P10 mask could be an issue due to the air that enters nasal passages also going straight to the lacrimal eye ducts, although I don't feel this air
in my eyes.

Now it has been suggested by others to try either the Oracle Mask or the Fit Life Total Face Mask. I have looked into both options, but don't see me using that Oracle Mask because I would then become a mouth breather which I have overcome since using the nasal pillow mask! The Fit Life mask is something I may have to try since I've read on this site and elsewhere that the air pressure is equalized over entire face and eyes won't get irritated. Has anyone used this mask? It would be a big change for me to go from a P10 nasal mask to a Full Face mask.

Any thoughts out there? I can't be the only one who suffers with this eye problem!
Thanks
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP and Eye Irritation
Our Ghostly Kentucky friend has used the Fitlife mask and speaks highly of it and there are others. Hopefully they will chime in.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible that you are sleeping on your side and the exhaust is being deflected back into your eyes by the bedding?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Air leaking from Nasocrimal ducts is a "rare" reason for dry eyes. A more common reason could be your P10 leaking on the side of your nostril and hitting your eyes OR as pollcat suggested (the vented air rebounding into your eyes). Look at your leak rates. It will provide a clue to what is happening. You should post your leak rate overview graph for last 60 days on this thread and also your leak graph of a day when you had this irritation in the morning.

Also, you can try sleeping with a travel sleep mask and evaluate if you still have dry eyes. If you do, then the ducts may be indicted but if no, then its probably a P10 leaking on the sides of your nostril.

You should also try a test of holding your nose and mouth shut and blowing thru your nose. If your ducts don't leak at that pressure then its highly unlikely that they will leak on cpap pressure.

Try eliminate all reasons before you blame the ducts.

In general, its much easier to sleep with the P10 than any FFM or the total face mask.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a lot of issues with my eyes and the P10. It got a little better with a lower pressure. Initially my eyes would start watering immediately, even without leaks. Now with a pressure of 7 it isn't as much of an issue. My eye doctor gave me some heavy nighttime eye drops which also seem to help.

You aren't the only one!
Post Reply Post Reply
PaytonA
Thanks. Hoping to hear from our Ghostly friend on Fitlife mask. Although it would be hard for me to
go from a P10 mask to a Full Face mask.

PollCat
Yes, I sleep on my side and back, but when on my side I do feel air hitting my eyes, but I couldn't figure it out because of the way the P10 diffuses. But it could be hitting pillow and deflecting into eyes.

Seabird,
Sorry you've had issues with your eyes too. I also have been trying to lower starting pressure a bit, but being I am not on a straight setting, it probably wont make a difference.

AshSF,
I really have put off calling an Eye Doctor. Didn't want to bring up the Nasocrimal duct issue...
heaven knows what he might want to do!
I purchased a travel sleep mask last month. Been trying to use it off and on...more off than on.
My Claustrophobia kicks in then I have to remove it.

I will try to post an overview of the last two months and a couple of days these last two weeks.

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have eye issues. the P10 is lightyears better with respect to eye issues than the FX Nasal Pillows for her that I also have, but I still have eye issues, and am currently healing from a sty, so it's worse than ever. I am tempted to try the fitlife for my next mask... I worry that as a side sleeper with a very short face it would be very leak prone - but maybe not.

My theory is that my eye issues have several causes, not one. air from the vent is one, and is for absolute certain a biggie for me. Another is general sinus irritation that is fairly constant. yet another, and unrelated cause is water retention, and I don't really know how to tell the difference between swelling from sinus vs swelling from excess fluid.

The best remedies I have found are to keep air streams from hitting the eyes however i can, keep sinuses as clear as possible, and apply eye creams containing caffeine for swelling after it has occurred anyway. I also set my EPR from 2 to 3 after reading that it might help with lowering renal vascular resistance, and it has really helped with water retention in my legs and also my eyes. Previously the water retention in my legs was compressing nerves and causing the outside edge of my feet to "go to sleep" and that symptom has subsided.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Screenshots for last couple months showing leak rates and other info.
Anyone feel free to comment.

[attachment=1309]
[attachment=1310]
[attachment=1312]
[attachment=1313]

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 02:02 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I have eye issues. the P10 is lightyears better with respect to eye issues than the FX Nasal Pillows for her that I also have, but I still have eye issues, and am currently healing from a sty, so it's worse than ever. I am tempted to try the fitlife for my next mask... I worry that as a side sleeper with a very short face it would be very leak prone - but maybe not.

My theory is that my eye issues have several causes, not one. air from the vent is one, and is for absolute certain a biggie for me. Another is general sinus irritation that is fairly constant. yet another, and unrelated cause is water retention, and I don't really know how to tell the difference between swelling from sinus vs swelling from excess fluid.

The best remedies I have found are to keep air streams from hitting the eyes however i can, keep sinuses as clear as possible, and apply eye creams containing caffeine for swelling after it has occurred anyway. I also set my EPR from 2 to 3 after reading that it might help with lowering renal vascular resistance, and it has really helped with water retention in my legs and also my eyes. Previously the water retention in my legs was compressing nerves and causing the outside edge of my feet to "go to sleep" and that symptom has subsided.

DariaVader,
Sorry you are having eye issues...it really stinks doesn't it? Your theory makes sense to me. I think somehow the air from the mask is hitting my eyes.
Im hoping that I don't have to change to the FitLife mask after getting used to nasal pillows, but if nothing else works, then I will give it a try.
Thanks for your input.
OpalRose
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2015, 08:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Question for all HoseHeads???

Do you or have you ever suffered from eye irritation while on CPAP?

Now let me start by saying that my therapy is going well. Have gone from untreated AHI of 33 to usually below 1.0 most days. Feel fairly good and adapting well to P10 mask after figuring out I needed a size small nasal pillow instead of extra small. Works better and leak rate good.

The last couple of months have been trying to say the least. Upon waking each morning, my eyes are red, itchy, puffy, and just hurt. It sometimes feels like sandpaper is in them. I also use dry eye drops and eye gels/ointment at night. They don't seem to help. UGH! And no, I didn't start out with dry eyes.

I suspect that the P10 mask could be an issue due to the air that enters nasal passages also going straight to the lacrimal eye ducts, although I don't feel this air
in my eyes.

Now it has been suggested by others to try either the Oracle Mask or the Fit Life Total Face Mask. I have looked into both options, but don't see me using that Oracle Mask because I would then become a mouth breather which I have overcome since using the nasal pillow mask! The Fit Life mask is something I may have to try since I've read on this site and elsewhere that the air pressure is equalized over entire face and eyes won't get irritated. Has anyone used this mask? It would be a big change for me to go from a P10 nasal mask to a Full Face mask.

Any thoughts out there? I can't be the only one who suffers with this eye problem!
Thanks
OpalRose

Have to tried wearing a eye mask? (like the one's you would wear if you had to sleep during the daytime), being you like your nasal pillow set up and it working for you try an eye mask at least you could see if you need to do a different mask set up.
Just a thoughDont-know
Hope you can find a solution.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 624 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 986 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  [Equipment] Dreamwear mask irritation on nose septum Dean Harman 10 6,013 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Cc1263
  Skin irritation with Evora full face mask misajon 0 767 02-02-2023, 01:11 PM
Last Post: misajon
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 438 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.