Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea and Percocet
Apnea and Percocet
Been using the S10 for her for about 4 months now. I see a dramatic correlation between my use of Percocet (pain killer and also a CNS depressant) and the amount of CA's.

After 3 months, it looks like OA's are in the single digits. When I do NOT take Percocet, CA's are between 0 and 3. When I take Percocet, I see CA's up in the 20+ range.

I find this logical but I am wondering if there is a REAL danger.

I hate taking the Percocet but it is the only pain killer that works for me but sometimes I can go 2-3 weeks without needing any and I see the CA's drop to zero.

Am I causing some REAL and SIGNIFICANT problem using Percocet when I see this correlation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea and Percocet
Do you mean you see a total count of 20 or a CI of 20? If the total count is 20, as in you have 20 events all night, no, you're not doing any harm.

If the CI (central index) is 20, as in you had 20 events an hour during the night, then that's a lot. However, my bet is without the pain aid, your sleep would have been even worse.

I take Vicodin and have chronic pain so I understand your situation. I would say you are not harming yourself at all when you take it. The relief from the pain from the occasional use far outweighs the central events. If you had to use the medication on a regular basis, then it would be more of an issue.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula - thank you

I just checked the numbers from the ResMed software and am confused.

On the last night I used Percocet;
It says Apnea Index: 22.4
Obsctuctive 1.3
Central 21.0
AHI: 22.8
% Time in CSR 38.5

I have NEVER seen numbers this high.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are going to need this class of drug on an ongoing basis, then you do need to get a different machine. Talk to your doctor about these results. A CA index over 20 is a serious concern, and may be related to significant SpO2 desaturation. You won't know unless you monitor using a recording oximeter.

People who take opiate drugs and experience complex or central apnea, generally require an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) with a backup rate that will initiate breaths for them. A regular positive air pressure machine is not capable of treating this condition. Your doctor can provide you with a letter of medical necessity or schedule a sleep study where you take the prescribed dose of your medication, so an appropriate machine and titration can be identified.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, yeah, that's a lot of central events in one night from one dose. I recommend you talk to your doc about another kind of pain medication before you switch machines. There are other non-opiate medications you can try. Have you ever tried Ultram? I am allergic to it so never got but two doses in but I've heard it works wonders. If you cannot find another medication, then you next need to see the sleep doc to discuss these results.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,392 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,584 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,850 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,889 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can large tonsils cause sleep apnea? Would removing them prevent sleep apnea? WWu777 4 1,526 12-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.