Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed S9 Problem
ResMed S9 Problem
ResMed S9 problem:
My machine is a couple years old. Has worked fine.
Last night I put on my mask, turned it on and the pressure was very strong. After unplugging it and checking settings I could not get to operate as it had.
I had a spare and used it for the night. This morning I found your site. Used the instructions of getting to settings to see if something had changed, but found no difference on my spare and the one used regularly.
Has anyone had this experience and some advice on what actions I might take.
Thanks
jks789
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Problem
Check your hose fittings at the machine and at the mask. It could be something goofy there.

Just for drill, go back into the settings and change your machine to "CPAP" mode, with a pressure setting of 10'ish. Then turn the ramp on with a start pressure of 5'ish, and a ramp time of 15 minutes.

Sit back in your comfy chair with the mask properly fitted, turn the puppy on and see how it feels.

While you're ready to do that, download the sleepyhead software from the link at the top of the page, install it, and take a look at what your experience really is. Get back to us with average pressures, ahi, that sort of stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jks789,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Good luck with getting your machine straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
From another S9 user;

As my hubby (a WiFi tech guy) always tells me "When something goes funny - REBOOT!"

So, unplug the S9 for about 5 minutes, at least. Plug it back in, test it during the day, as retired_guy suggested, and see how it does.

Also, as retired_guy suggests, I 2nd the idea of downloading the SleepyHead software.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='retired_guy' pid='103614' dateline='1425754773']

Thank you retired guy for responding to the problem I posted. I was able to follow your instructions, unpluging the machine, making the changes in settings, using a different hose and mask to take that out of the equation, and got in a very comfortable chair for a 15 minute rest.
There may have been a little difference from before, but I still felt strong pressure when breathing in and it took effort to exhale.
Just to check, I took the mask and hose to my other unit and powered it up. The difference was dramatic. I felt assistance in inhaling, but not strong pressure, and exhaling was very easy.

Not sure if something else to try, but from the experience, I am now sure there is a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2015, 11:37 AM)Jks789 Wrote: My machine is a couple years old.

Hi Jks789,

The clinician set-up manual (see link at top of all forum pages) will say how to Reset Factory Defaults. If that does not fix the problem then the blower needs repair or reacement.

If you received your machine less than 24 months ago bring it back to the provider immediately to be replaced under warrantee.

If you received it between 24 month to 27 months ago, you can call ResMed Customer Service and give them the REF# and Serial# on the back of the blower unit, and they will tell you whether is is still under warrantee. ResMed warrantees machines for 2 years plus 3 months from date of manufacture, which they will look up based on the serial number.

There may be a chance that you can have the unit replaced for free under the 27 month warrantee which started on date of manufacture.

If you received it longer ago than 27 months, it may be better to buy a gently used S9 AutoSet from Supplier 2 or from Craig's List. A link to the Supplier List is at top of every forum page. If dealing with Craig's List, be very careful, and also you might not want to buy a machine from a smoker. Usually best to discard or clean very well the water tub and hose and mask.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,335 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,475 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 393 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.