Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
RE: Mouth leaks with nasal pillows
I did get my aloha and I really like it. It exhausts a lot harder but unless your right up against a pillow or something it's silent. I use it most nights now, except when my wife is home (she works nights) then I use the p10 out of courtesy. I really like both, but find I'm preferring the aloha.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2015, 09:42 AM)truetopath Wrote: I did get my aloha and I really like it. It exhausts a lot harder but unless your right up against a pillow or something it's silent. I use it most nights now, except when my wife is home (she works nights) then I use the p10 out of courtesy. I really like both, but find I'm preferring the aloha.

Are you preferring the Aloha because of the headgear? Could you please elaborate? Do you find yourself still having to use the chin strap like with the P10? Thanks in advance truetopath!
Post Reply Post Reply
I do like the headgear on the aloha, it stays exactly where I put it and I love how it sits lower on the cheeks. Don't get me wrong I do like headgear on the p10 as well. It's like apples and oranges though. One is like a typical mask headgear, and the other you don't even know is there. I used the chinstrap consistently for the first week, now i try a couple nights per week without to see if I've developed the muscle memory to keep my mouth shut. Still not there yet but getting closer for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2015, 06:30 PM)truetopath Wrote: I do like the headgear on the aloha, it stays exactly where I put it and I love how it sits lower on the cheeks. Don't get me wrong I do like headgear on the p10 as well. It's like apples and oranges though. One is like a typical mask headgear, and the other you don't even know is there. I used the chinstrap consistently for the first week, now i try a couple nights per week without to see if I've developed the muscle memory to keep my mouth shut. Still not there yet but getting closer for sure.

Thanks truetopath!

I do understand that it is like apples and oranges. The P10 headgear and pillows are so unobtrusive. So for comparison sake, basically the Aloha is like a Wisp with pillows, not exactly but in terms of adjustable head gear. Can you tell me why you would prefer the Aloha over the Wisp? Is it the less contact area on the nose? My wisp is the fabric type, so I think the only difference for me regarding those two now would be the pillows vs nose mask. Thanks again!

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 06:31 AM)Mich Wrote:
(04-12-2015, 06:30 PM)truetopath Wrote: I do like the headgear on the aloha, it stays exactly where I put it and I love how it sits lower on the cheeks. Don't get me wrong I do like headgear on the p10 as well. It's like apples and oranges though. One is like a typical mask headgear, and the other you don't even know is there. I used the chinstrap consistently for the first week, now i try a couple nights per week without to see if I've developed the muscle memory to keep my mouth shut. Still not there yet but getting closer for sure.

Thanks truetopath!

I do understand that it is like apples and oranges. The P10 headgear and pillows are so unobtrusive. So for comparison sake, basically the Aloha is like a Wisp with pillows, not exactly but in terms of adjustable head gear. Can you tell me why you would prefer the Aloha over the Wisp? Is it the less contact area on the nose? My wisp is the fabric type, so I think the only difference for me regarding those two now would be the pillows vs nose mask. Thanks again!

I prefer the aloha over the wisp now because my facial oils have no effect on the seal of the mask, and I don't need to keep the mask wipes and stridex wipes next to the bed anymore. It's just way more convenient for me, but as always YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the response. Has the Aloha eliminated the need for the chin strap?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still wearing one until I finish training myself to keep my mouth shut. Definitely making progress though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 08:08 PM)truetopath Wrote: I'm still wearing one until I finish training myself to keep my mouth shut. Definitely making progress though.

I used gauze over my lips and medical tape for a week (I read it somewhere online and wanted something right then and there) to make sure I was not opening my mouth! I wished my husband worked nights then because he cracked so many jokes he should have been in SNL! But the tape held it closed, despite his jokes!

On the positive side, with chin strap and mask headgear, if you fall out of bed, you might not sustain a head injury! Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 07:39 AM)Mich Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 08:08 PM)truetopath Wrote: I'm still wearing one until I finish training myself to keep my mouth shut. Definitely making progress though.

I used gauze over my lips and medical tape for a week (I read it somewhere online and wanted something right then and there) to make sure I was not opening my mouth! I wished my husband worked nights then because he cracked so many jokes he should have been in SNL! But the tape held it closed, despite his jokes!

On the positive side, with chin strap and mask headgear, if you fall out of bed, you might not sustain a head injury! Wink

Hahaha absolutely! Or if you do at least everything with be held in place!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:01 AM)truetopath Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 07:39 AM)Mich Wrote:

Hahaha absolutely! Or if you do at least everything with be held in place!

Right like glass tape on windows during a hurricane!

So the only other factor would be are the pillows on the Aloha more/less comfortable than on the P10?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 364 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,761 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.