Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does This Exist? (humidifier idea...)
Does This Exist? (humidifier idea...)
Does anyone make a humidifier that uses UV light to sterilize the water?

If that existed, then the tank could be made to hold enough water for a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does This Exist? (humidifier idea...)
I've never seen one but that doesn't mean there's no such thing. While I can see the attraction of only filling the tank once a week, a few negatives come to mind....

1. You'd need a big tank, two litres or so, which wouldn't fit the form factor of any current machine

2. A lot of plastics break down under sustained UV exposure - this may shorten the life of the tank (or otherwise you'd need to use a more expensive material

3. It only takes a minute or less to fill the tank anyhow. Would the very slight improvement in efficiency be worth the extra cost and complexity of the UV system?

Sorry - just going into engineer mode and looking for fatal flaws before deciding to support an idea :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
We could have tanks with a float and needle valve (like in a carburetor) that fills from a larger container of distilled H2O by gravity feed.

As for sterilization, uV-c (short wavelength) light is used. I do not think it is transmitted through the plastic in tanks.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
They use it in saltwater fish tanks. The units, usually in-line, cost anywhere from $75 - 200 and require constant water flow to work properly.

I admit I am lazy. I won't tell you the last time I really cleaned my CPAP stuff. But even I am not so lazy that I won't dump and refill my humidifier tank.

And I admit I like to tinker. And I like my fish tanks. But setting up a UV system just for my CPAP humidifier that uses less than 2 cups of water a night? Now we're back to the lazy part.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
UV water treatment is frequently used on wells to ensure no pathogens are delivered. I can't imagine using it for a humidifier, but then I don't understand a $10,000 watch either.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a $60 room humidifier that has a uv sterilizer in it, so clearly it doesn't cost much.

I would like to go to bed, and not have to mess around with water every single day. So if I could have a large tank, it would be great. The unit sits on a small end table by my bed. The added size would not matter. If I travel, I could swap in the regular tank. I have a Resmed A10, and the tank could be as big as needed without altering the machine in any way.

Post Reply Post Reply
There does exist an addon humidifier for CPAPs that has a bigger tank. The F&P HC150. Because of its larger tank, you could maybe get away with having to fill it up every night and just wait for it to get low enough. Because it is clear, you can see into it and can tell when it starts to get skanky.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 06:25 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: There does exist an addon humidifier for CPAPs that has a bigger tank. The F&P HC150. Because of its larger tank, you could maybe get away with having to fill it up every night and just wait for it to get low enough. Because it is clear, you can see into it and can tell when it starts to get skanky.

A few people have added an additional 2nd humidifier tank with the F&P HC150. I sure would love to increase the actual humidity. I can't remember where the F&P connects (last part or before humidifier).

I have a Philips BiPAP System One 760. Isn't there a humidity sensor on the hose that would adjust down the humidity level if it "sees" more coming in?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 05:07 AM)justMongo Wrote: We could have tanks with a float and needle valve (like in a carburetor) that fills from a larger container of distilled H2O by gravity feed.

I have something like that except for the distilled water. It's called a toilet.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 755 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,159 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733
  Humidifier wattage - Anyone know Pse? Kingsway 10 785 11-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 513 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.