Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travel cpap
Travel cpap
I have been successfully using a Respironics System One with humidifier (setting 4) and a nasal pillow (Resmed P10) for a couple years. I will now be traveling quite a bit and this cpap is pretty bulky. Any suggestions on a smaller/lighter alternative?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travel cpap
What kind of travel? Do you need to operate off battery? There are small travel CPAP machines (Z1), but they are generally more noisy, expensive, and if you want a humidifier, that will increase the size and bulk. Your PRS1 without the humidifier will actually pack pretty small and can be operated on 12 Volts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Travel will be hotel based, so no need for 12v. I think humidifier will be important, but reservoir size of current cpap is large - usually use about 1/3-1/2.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a PR System One when I travel on a motorcycle. I have a fair amount of luggage space on the FJR1300, but do take extended trips. I think if you compare CPAPs like the Z1 Auto Travel CPAP at 6 1/2 inches long and 10 ounces, they are indeed smaller, but there are some drawbacks that go with it. The other one is a Transcend Auto CPAP, and it does cost less, but I have not heard as much positiv e feedback. The Transcend is 6.1 in x 3.5 in x 2.8 in and 14 oz.

For comparison your PRS1 is 7" L x 5.5" W x 4" H and 3 lbs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi boatsurvey2226,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, much success to you with your CPAP therapy and good luck to you on your travel CPAP decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 10:43 PM)boatsurvey2226 Wrote: I have been successfully using a Respironics System One with humidifier (setting 4) and a nasal pillow (Resmed P10) for a couple years. I will now be traveling quite a bit and this cpap is pretty bulky. Any suggestions on a smaller/lighter alternative?
Thanks!

My suggestion is to keep what you have for CPAP equipment and work out how to reduce the bulk of everything else. I always used to travel with a shaving kit bag in my roll-aboard. I now have the zip-lock bag for liquids and only the essentials loose in a side pocket. I toss a small zip-top canvas bag in the roll-aboard just in case I'm forced to gate check it so I can carry the CPAP machine aboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do a search and you'll get a lot of hits here. I'm very happy with my Z1 Auto and its tiny size is valuable to me. The drawback is the lack of humidification which I remedy by using the Z1 HME's. I travel almost weekly and toss it in my backpack and I never check a bag. The roller will get gate checked on the RJ's but the machine stays with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some folks are very happy with their micro machines (Transcend or Z-1). I am not knocking the travel machines - I bought one with 60 some odd hours on it off CL and used it for a few nights. Decided I would be happier with a NOS Resmed S-8 Autoset II - 'specially since it is an auto. Primary gripe most folks have with them tiny machines is the turbine noise that gets pushed down the tube into the nose, up through the sinuses to the inner ear. The Z-1 is quiet unless you are wearing it. Then, to me it was loud. Could still sleep with it, but it was noticeable. Supposedly HDM is coming out with a muffler soon to take care of that. One of the forum members has used the muffler in beta test and says it works really well. I am probably going to list mine back on CL - just trying to decide if I should wait for the muffler to come out.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,742 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 777 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 27,099 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.