Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Likely a non-issue, but....
RE: Likely a non-issue, but....
(04-15-2015, 12:37 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Now you have my curiosity up......because I've done exactly what you do and I mark them on the edge. However, the mark always seems to wash off when I clean the pillows in the morning Unsure

I mark them on the middle of the side that doesnt show the size, and a black sharpie holds the best. Dont get them wet right away after. I make a sizable mark.... it fades, but not on first wash (or second).
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Knowing what I know now if I have reason to believe I need a test but the establishment does not I would go to any number of places that offer reasonable prices for private pay testing packages. Reasonable compared to what they bill insurance providers.
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV but I can read and reason and make use of online screening tools.
Searching thyroid testing will lead to the info needed.
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 08:02 AM)OpalRose Wrote: ...agree with TyroneShoes... I noticed when my P10 mask reached the 3 month mark, my AHI started to creep up. Also noticed at that point, the amount of air coming from the exhaust is less. I have no scientific numbers to support this, only by holding my hand in from of exhaust and noticing the difference....

Due to these sorts of concerns, I performed a little test. I took the brand-new P10 I received, prior to use, and blocked the port and tried to blow through it. Then I repeated it with the 3-month old version. The resistance to flow was identical.

As far as a film accumulating on the mesh, what ever could that be? 70% of what goes through is humidified air, essentially air and water molecules. The rest is exhaled air, which is CO2 and water molecules. The mesh is tiny, and on purpose to create Venturi back pressure on the exhaust that changes inversely with pressure (high pressures do not need as much venting because the air is venting faster due to the higher pressure, so the increased Venturi effect modulates this as pressure rises allowing equivalent venting for different pressures through the same mesh) but there is nothing that could accumulate from usage, it appears.
Post Reply Post Reply
soooo.... 2 nights back in the very low AHI but restless too and tired the next day, and last night another > 1 and feel more rested. Think I am going with the "Finally getting deeper more restful sleep after 5 months continuous CPAP use" diagnosis

DreamingDreamingDreaming
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 01:49 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 12:37 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: Now you have my curiosity up......because I've done exactly what you do and I mark them on the edge. However, the mark always seems to wash off when I clean the pillows in the morning Unsure

I mark them on the middle of the side that doesnt show the size, and a black sharpie holds the best. Dont get them wet right away after. I make a sizable mark.... it fades, but not on first wash (or second).

Of course Daria does have that little black spot on the tip of her nose now. But we wouldn't want to say anything.........
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 02:19 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: As far as a film accumulating on the mesh, what ever could that be? 70% of what goes through is humidified air, essentially air and water molecules. The rest is exhaled air, which is CO2 and water molecules.

According to Wikipedia (for what that's worth) Smile
Breath gas analysis
The area of modern breath testing commenced in 1971, when Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling demonstrated that human breath is a complex gas, containing more than 200 different volatile organic compounds.

Maybe some of that stuff (200 voc's) can deposit on the vent mesh over a period of time. Also I have a confession to make - I touch my vent sometimes... Smile Skin oil could start to accumulate over time from touching the vents, like when I'm testing if air is coming out. Seems like when I wash the mask (weekly) vs the nasal pillows (daily), the vents flow better. This is based on a couple of washes so far.

Nothing scientific, just my perception.

That reminds me... I bought a Boehringer Inspiratory Force Meter on ebay a couple of weeks ago. (so I could measure actual pressure at the mask on my set up - but haven't gotten around to it yet) I ought to rig it up to check the "back pressure" on a freshly washed vent compared to a week old unwashed vent and see if there is a measurable difference, by blocking the tube and exhaling through it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 08:51 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Think I am going with the "Finally getting deeper more restful sleep after 5 months continuous CPAP use" diagnosis

Very glad to hear that. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 99 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 102 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  hypertension issue PaulaO2 19 658 03-04-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 1 184 03-02-2024, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 351 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.