Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air in stomach???
Air in stomach???
Has anyone had problems with cpap where they wake up trying to throw up and then burp up a lot of air from stomach like the air is going to the wrong place? What causes this? How can I fix this? I will call doctor tomorrow but any help would be appreciated I'm kind of freaked out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air in stomach???
I have a similar problem, but you should be thankful it's only coming out as burps. Smile

On a more serious note: It seems that sometimes the forced air can go down the wrong pipe. In my case, I suspect it is more likely to happen with higher pressures. I see your upper pressure limit is 20, which it is for me as well. I think lowering the pressures may help but at least in my case, the machine often goes up to 19-20 in response to snores and blocked airway so reducing the upper limit would likely make my overall AHIs worse. I've read elsewhere here that this gas problem is more likely to happen with new users and that sometimes it gets better over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 09:03 PM)TiredToo Wrote: I have a similar problem, but you should be thankful it's only coming out as burps. Smile

On a more serious note: It seems that sometimes the forced air can go down the wrong pipe. In my case, I suspect it is more likely to happen with higher pressures. I see your upper pressure limit is 20, which it is for me as well. I think lowering the pressures may help but at least in my case, the machine often goes up to 19-20 in response to snores and blocked airway so reducing the upper limit would likely make my overall AHIs worse. I've read elsewhere here that this gas problem is more likely to happen with new users and that sometimes it gets better over time.

I am not new to cpap but this air thing just started. Is this really dangerous? I've heard this can be deadly. My stomach still feels full of air and hurts. Have burped some but feel nauseas also.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't really say whether or not it is "dangerous"... I honestly don't know.

I do wonder why this would start happening for you suddenly. Has your max pressure changed recently? Different mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
A search on CPAP Lower Esophogeal Spincter https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+LES...+sphincter

You should find the answers to your question there. It's a common problem, and there are some things you can do to mitigate it. https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+LES...r+exercise
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 09:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: A search on CPAP Lower Esophogeal Spincter https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+LES...+sphincter

You should find the answers to your question there. It's a common problem, and there are some things you can do to mitigate it. https://www.google.com/search?q=cpap+LES...r+exercise

Thanks. I have read that now and all other posts I can find about it and Wikipedia ect. Nothing is clear though about wether this is a benign issue or serious and deadly. I will say it really hurts.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is (most likely) simply air in your stomach from the CPAP. It usually goes away the longer you use the machine. Try raising the head of your bed either by placing something under the feet of your headboard or raising the head of the mattress. It isn't dangerous, just uncomfortable. It's called aerophagia. Before I had the autoPAP, I used to get it really bad every time the doc changed the pressure of my CPAP. I could sit up in the morning and belch the alphabet at least once. Or fart it. LOL It could hurt, too! But I would sit up, lean forward a little and it would come out on its own. I don't have as bad a problem with it now that I have the autoPAP. Every once in a while I do and I find it is on nights I've had a fight with my pillow and have managed to sleep without it or have slept on my back without any incline.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 12:14 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I could sit up in the morning and belch the alphabet at least once. Or fart it. LOL It could hurt, too! But I would sit up, lean forward a little and it would come out on its own.

Yeah I could see the letters "T" and "X" being a little painful... Smile

Seriously though, I get this once in a while, seems to be mainly when I have to swallow during the night, especially if I have a post-nasal drip going on.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,152 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 635 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 574 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 758 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Air in my stomach Old Bert 64 3,839 11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Old Bert
  Does sleeping on your stomach prevent Apnea? WWu777 7 1,702 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  Air pushed into stomach Jimboiii 1 595 07-03-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.