Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I changed my CPAP to APAP - what to expect
I changed my CPAP to APAP - what to expect

I've been on my CPAP machine for two years at my prescribed strength of 9. I do love it. I was told the S9 Escape Auto "Auto Adjusts", but after I learned how to enter the clinician menu, I saw that it was set to CPAP @9. No adjustment what so ever.

So after reading out here, I have switched it over the APAP and I've left the default setting of 4 min and 20 max. Should I narrow that down by say 8-10? Or just leave it?

Is this going to be a huge adjustment? Or will I barely notice?

The S9 Escape Auto only has summary data, so I'll go by what I have. My oximeter comes in today, so I'll have that on as well.

I am led by my frustration with Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. I switched to a new Neurologist/Sleep Doctor who gave me a AirFit P10 to try to help me to keep from waking and to make my sleep better.

Sadly, my CPAP machine doesn't offer the detailed feedback I need. I am investigating getting a new one. Even if I have to purchase outright.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I changed my CPAP to APAP - what to expect
Some people are bothered with the changing of the pressure that APAP does while it's assessing where it needs to be. That can be especially true if they have been accustomed to CPAP and the steady level of pressure it provides.

If you stay with the APAP mode, I'd recommend bumping the minimum up to 8. I'd leave the maximum at 20 since it won't ever go there anyway and for the time being you should allow it to have its head as far as the maximum goes. After a week or so, you'll be better able to make a judgement on whether things are better or worse with APAP vs. CPAP. Everyone's tolerance is different for each aspect of the therapy and you must find yours by trial and error, so to speak.

edit: It will be of interest to see where the pressure goes to when using the APAP mode as compared to your straight 9cm. present therapy. You will be able to make a better judgement when you get that number.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I changed my CPAP to APAP - what to expect
8-10 would be a much better transition than going with 4-20.

When you are able to monitor your stats:
You could see if it lets you stay at 8 with no increase in events.
Or if it wants to keep you at 10 most of the time and decreases events (vs what you experience now).
If it keeps you at 10, you could range a little higher and see what the effect is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 561 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 319 03-18-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.