Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does this make sense? High leak low AHI
Does this make sense? High leak low AHI
Although I have felt more alert in the afternoon since using Cpap, lately my 4 month old swift fx nasal pillow seems to be leaking more easily when I move (no mouth breathing anymore). Here's what I don't understand. I've had consecutive nights of high leak rates (22ml-26ml) with AHI's of .1 or .2 which is better than nights with low leak rates. I guess I have to tighten the straps a bit more but I woke up with some marks which tok a while to go away in the morning when I tightened the straps last time.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does this make sense? High leak low AHI
If your leak rate is below 26, you really don't have to do anything.

Take a look at your leak graph. Is it always in the range of 20-26, or does it just get there once in awhile? What is the average (mean) leak rate?

Sometimes in trying too hard to have perfect leak numbers we end up compromising comfort or mask integrity. So don't do that. Wash the pillows, replace them if they're getting old, use a little lanolin on your nose to help the seal. But don't be tightening up too much on the straps. You're doing very well where you're at, so you don't want to break it in your zeal to improve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daso, pillows wear out over time and need replacing...about every 3-4 months. You may need a new set. On the other hand, if you don't care about the leak rate and have low AHI, don't worry about it. I preordered a set of three off the internet so I will have them on hand in the future when needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2015, 09:24 PM)retired_guy Wrote: If your leak rate is below 26, you really don't have to do anything.

Take a look at your leak graph. Is it always in the range of 20-26, or does it just get there once in awhile? What is the average (mean) leak rate?

Sometimes in trying too hard to have perfect leak numbers we end up compromising comfort or mask integrity. So don't do that. Wash the pillows, replace them if they're getting old, use a little lanolin on your nose to help the seal. But don't be tightening up too much on the straps. You're doing very well where you're at, so you don't want to break it in your zeal to improve it.

I typically have leak rates in the 5-7ml range but what is confusing to me is that since I've had the leaking over the past week, my AHI's have been consistently better .1-.2 vs .5-.7 AHI. I have a hard time really understanding the sleepyhead data
(04-20-2015, 09:25 PM)trailrider Wrote: Hi Daso, pillows wear out over time and need replacing...about every 3-4 months. You may need a new set. On the other hand, if you don't care about the leak rate and have low AHI, don't worry about it. I preordered a set of three off the internet so I will have them on hand in the future when needed.

I'm going to order a replacement pillow tomorrow, thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 11 1 hour ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 234 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 537 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.