Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member Here
RE: New Member Here
(05-26-2015, 10:51 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Hey Parker, you're doing well. Keep up the good work. Basically what has to change now is the "Six hours is about all I can stand currently" to "I slept x hours and loved every minute of it." You'll get there. Probably when you up your pressure just a tad............ Yeah, yeah, I know.... Broken record. Naggie Mom... All of that.

LOL and here I was just happy to see better numbers last night. Smile
I do have to work on the leak issues with my P10 mask with the large pillows, but at least the thing is relatively comfy. I'll try 9 tonight.

thanks!
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night's data at a fixed 9:

Details Most Recent

CPAP Usage
Average Hours per Night 07:23
Compliance 100%

Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 4.88
Obstructive Index 3.52
Hypopnea Index 0.68
Clear Airway Index 0.54

Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 6.67
90% Leak Rate 21.60

% of time above Leak Rate threshold 8.76%
Pressure Statistics
Average Pressure 9.00
Min Pressure 9.00
Max Pressure 9.00
90% Pressure 9.00

Had major problems with mouth leaks and difficulty keeping the P10 well seated; tightening the headband left me with a sore nose, and the mouth leaks a dry mouth.
Perhaps it is time to try a different mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it would appear that the P10 mask and I don't get along well. Last night I used my Respironics WISP and got what appear to be much better numbers to this inexperienced eye:

CPAP Usage
Average Hours per Night 08:51
Compliance 100%

Therapy Efficiacy
AHI 0.79
Obstructive Index 0.68
Hypopnea Index 0.11
Clear Airway Index 0.00
RERA Index 0.23

Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 0.31
90% Leak Rate 0.00
% of time above Leak Rate threshold 0.03%

Pressure Statistics
Average Pressure 8.00
Min Pressure 8.00
Max Pressure 8.00
90% Pressure 8.00

I did get some "rain" in the mask which, of course, does not happen with the P10 - but not too bad.

Thanks, especially to Retired_Guy, for talking me through getting to a better number!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, I wonder if you are using the correct size of nasal pillows in the P10.
However as long as Wisp works for you, and you are happy, comfortable and can sleep...then that is perfect for you!

Great job on the AHI!! Looks like you have about 6 events during 8 hours! That is wonderful!

Although I am wondering why: 1 you are on straight pressure with a nice auto machine. 2. Why you dropped your therapy pressure from 9 to 8?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was prescribed the fixed pressure for the compliance period. Didn't know enough at that time to ask the MD why; I will at my follow-up in August.

I've used both medium and large pillows in the P10. Medium causes a very sore nose, and I can't tolerate it more than a few hours. Large feels much more comfortable, but I can't seem to get a good seal as I toss and turn.

Was trying 9 as a means to lower the AHI while using the P10. 8 is my prescribed pressure, and wanted to return to the baseline as I switched masks.

thanks,
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
pfffft. Smile

I am progressing, using both the P10 and the WISP. Both hurt, but on different parts of my face.

Mouth breathing - thuss the pfffft seems to be a problem. Especially later in the night.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
trick is to put your tongue up on the roof of your mouth and and suck it slightly to make a light vacuum. For me, it was easy to train myself to do that because I am normally a nose breather (at least awake) and the cyclone of air jetting out my mouth when I open itwhile sleeping tends to wake me. I have mastered the tongue suck technique well enough that a couple of times I have awakened with my mouth open, but seal intact.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Daria,

I think I can visualize that, and will see if I can do it. Otherwise, it's chin strap time.Smile

Dave

(05-30-2015, 10:32 PM)DariaVader Wrote: trick is to put your tongue up on the roof of your mouth and and suck it slightly to make a light vacuum. For me, it was easy to train myself to do that because I am normally a nose breather (at least awake) and the cyclone of air jetting out my mouth when I open itwhile sleeping tends to wake me. I have mastered the tongue suck technique well enough that a couple of times I have awakened with my mouth open, but seal intact.

Post Reply Post Reply
This WORKS! Took some practice, but it does work! Thank you, Daria!

(05-30-2015, 10:32 PM)DariaVader Wrote: trick is to put your tongue up on the roof of your mouth and and suck it slightly to make a light vacuum. For me, it was easy to train myself to do that because I am normally a nose breather (at least awake) and the cyclone of air jetting out my mouth when I open itwhile sleeping tends to wake me. I have mastered the tongue suck technique well enough that a couple of times I have awakened with my mouth open, but seal intact.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2015, 06:42 PM)parkerdt Wrote: This WORKS! Took some practice, but it does work! Thank you, Daria!

w00t w00t!!!
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 494 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,556 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 426 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.