Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Max Pressure Still Having Obstructive Apneas
Question 
Max Pressure Still Having Obstructive Apneas
Hello, my dad has a Resmed S9 Autoset with a F+P Forma full face mask. Looking at his data I noticed a few weeks ago it was maxed out at 20cm H2O and over a 15 minute period he registered 5 obstructive apneas of
65, 67, 104, 94, and 112 seconds. The total leak for the duration averaged about 10-13 l/min with short spikes lasting a couple of seconds up to around 20 l/min or so coinciding with the events.

These events look really dangerous.
Can too high of a pressure CAUSE obstructive events?

Or is the pressure not high enough to prevent the obstructions?

Is the leak too much despite the green smiley face?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Max Pressure Still Having Obstructive Apneas
With 20 AHI at maximum pressure, I'd refer back to the doctor. The times being recorded are extremely long periods and without oxygen data we can't say those are valid. Ever try to hold your breath for over a minute and a half? In addition to the recorded event, I'd be looking for recovery breathing to validate the apnea. Sleepyhead, a free program linked above on this forum, can give much more data about the events and it might be worth taking a look at his therapy data.

I agree apneas of that duration are potentially dangerous to his health if they are real. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for information, but we don't replace the need to bring more serious matters to the attention of your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Don11,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you and your dad.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Those large leaks might be if he had his mouth open. The air gets pushed in the nose, and then rushes right back out the mouth. Also, if he is awake and talking with the mask on it will read like an apnea event. The nasal passage is closed to the air (obstruction), but he's actually breathing. The machines cannot tell if you are awake. And then the pressure gets jacked up to deal with the (non) event.

I do this regularly; nattering at my husband while masked up. I just ignore the data from the times I know I'm awake. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2015, 07:42 PM)Don11 Wrote: Hello, my dad has a Resmed S9 Autoset with a F+P Forma full face mask. Looking at his data I noticed a few weeks ago it was maxed out at 20cm H2O and over a 15 minute period he registered 5 obstructive apneas of
65, 67, 104, 94, and 112 seconds. The total leak for the duration averaged about 10-13 l/min with short spikes lasting a couple of seconds up to around 20 l/min or so coinciding with the events.

These events look really dangerous.
Can too high of a pressure CAUSE obstructive events?

Or is the pressure not high enough to prevent the obstructions?

Is the leak too much despite the green smiley face?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What pressure is your S9 set at? You said it was maxing out at 20. Is the machine set on auto with a pressure range? What has the total AHI readings been?

If you could download SleepyHead software, then it would be easier to look at the events on a graph and see where his pressure is. The leak rate sounds like it is within acceptable limits.

Too high of a pressure does not cause obstructives, but could cause clear airway events in some people. That's why it's important to look at the total picture from the SleepyHead software. Let us know how he is doing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 850 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 762 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,279 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.