Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Nasal mask versus Nasal pillows
Nasal mask versus Nasal pillows

I'm new to the forum and have questions. I'm having serious problems with panic and a feeling of suffocation using the nasal mask.
Can anyone tell me if using the pillows is easier on the symptoms?
I really have to make this work for me, but panic when bedtime comes and I have to put on the equipment
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal mask versus Nasal pillows
I believe you would find the pillows mask much less problematic than the nasal mask. The other thing that could be involved here, and as a matter of fact probably is the source of your difficulty, is your starting pressures. The A10's default starting ramp pressure is 4. That's too little for most people to be able to tolerate well. If you haven't done it, download the clinician manual from the links at the top of the forum and raise the minimum pressures to at least 6. While you're at it, report back what your machine is set at now and how it's working for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MsFigg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would think a pillows mask would be better because they are very minimalist.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found the exact opposite to be true for me. I started with a nasal mask and had no issues with it except leakage. I tried to transition to a nasal pillows mask due to leakage while changing sleep positions. The nasal pillow mask was too intrusive to me, but then again I didn't continue trying it past a few days. It is possible that I could acclimate to it over time, and I may try it again. I would suggest wearing the mask while watching TV or surfing to get accustomed to it. I've gotten to the point that I'm not even aware of it once it warms to body temperature. Keep in mind that you can remove it easily any time you want, and it may reduce your anxiety. In fact, you may want to practice doing that and see how easy it is. Wearing the mask won't cause you to suffocate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 974 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,061 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 98 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 158 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,222 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,350 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 195 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.