Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Sleep stages
Sleep stages
I am in my 3rd week of ASV, having been on CPAP before that.

I am getting good data, typically .2 - 2 AHI. My oxygen levels are good, 95% level was 96%.

So: is there a way to check sleep stage, I am not sure I am getting much deep sleep, I am afraid I may be sensitive to the ASV pressure as it ramps up to deal with my CAs.

I am dreaming so I know I get some REM sleep, but...

I know an EEG is the best way to tell sleep stages, wondered if there were alternatives??

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep stages
(06-02-2015, 12:53 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am in my 3rd week of ASV, having been on CPAP before that.

I am getting good data, typically .2 - 2 AHI. My oxygen levels are good, 95% level was 96%.

So: is there a way to check sleep stage, I am not sure I am getting much deep sleep, I am afraid I may be sensitive to the ASV pressure as it ramps up to deal with my CAs.

I know an EEG is the best way to tell sleep stages, wondered if there were alternatives??

Storywizard
As far as I know the only way is with an EEG. That is why they like you to go to a sleep lab for your study as the take home machine doesn't have EEG capabilities yet. I hear that soon they will be able to but not yet. I believe that even though you have been on CPAP before you are trying to adjust to a new machine that is very different from a traditional CPAP . This may take some time to adjust. I am new to this as well and I have not been very patient with myself and I need to be. I am sure things will get better with some time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 12:53 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am in my 3rd week of ASV, having been on CPAP before that.

Storywizard

I found that I was very consistent as to when I reached REM. This is obvious for me because virtually all the extra pressure I get is during REM and it matches my sleep study. Did you have a pattern when you were on the cpap ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 12:53 PM)storywizard Wrote: I am dreaming so I know I get some REM sleep, but...
Many can dream without REM Sleep. I know that I did on a very regular basis before I got my machine.

2006 No CPAP

[Image: yLkQRur.png]

2014 No CPAP

[Image: BbS4Ixw.png]
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
again, though we say we were dreaming, and are SURE we did or did not have REM sleep, we would have to have confirmation from EEG. otherwise, we can only think we are getting REM sleep.

I did observe my own traits and believe I can see indications of REM sleep based on waveforms, respiration rate, and tidal volume, taking cues from some studies that say what occurs to these in REM sleep. In the hundreds of dreams, only about 2% of them are at times where the other data doesn't match.

I am not so confident that I can even make an educated guess as to when/whether I am in deep SWS (slow wave sleep). Sorry, I cannot pass on to you any tricks to ascertain that.

I have read that SWS, also called Stage 3 NREM sleep, tends to happen earlier in the night and generally before REM sleep. Once you have gotten the 45 to 80 minutes of SWS, you'll usually not enter this stage again that night. More room exists in the later cycles (as you are not in SWS) for longer REM sleep, and that is what usually occurs.

Lastly, some medications and sleep supplements make a pronounced effect to decrease REM and increase SWS, or the other way around. Nearly all apnea sufferers have low REM or low SWS (or both). I have run into only one apnea sufferer that had higher than usual SWS and REM simultaneously.

Read up on what SWS does for you, and maybe then you will detect the effect of SWS and by that method you can deduce that you are having SWS.

Hope this helps,

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might look into the ResMed S+

I've been getting what I think is fairly reliable sleep stage information from it and when I print out the Hypnogram and compare it to my sleepyhead graphs, the REM stages seem to match up pretty well with my flow trace and what I would expect in REM.

I know it's no EEG, but at this point maybe as close as I can get ass far as knowing how much REM I am getting.........six months of data so far and seems pretty accurate as far as I can tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 12:53 PM)storywizard Wrote: I

Storywizard

Hi Storywizard,
I too am sensitive to the pressures and found it beneficial for me to side sleep , thereby keeping pressures as low as possible . You've probably already heard this before but thought it may be worth a mention . I also remember the therapist checking to make sure I wasn't being over ventilated . have you had a checkup with a therapist to review that? They also said it would take about a month for the ASV to learn my patterns .
Take care,
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies...good info, I really appreciate it....

Storywizard
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.