Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Positional Apnea, results from sleep study
Positional Apnea, results from sleep study
I was finding that my AHI levels were pretty much non existent when sleeping on my side, and I also was sleeping through the night, which was something I never did while on my back and also when doing so, my numbers were higher. So I did an experiment and took a large Velcro band and put a few swimmies on the back of it and slept with it on, it was really quite comfy and IF I attempted to roll over on my back I could not. Sleeping on my side has always been my pattern.

I talked to the doc about it and he ordered me to have a study done using the parameters of the first study using the "bumpers" without a mask, then during the night taking them off and seeing how that changed my AHI. The study showed with sleeping on my side, my AHI was less than 7, on my back it went up to 11. My Oxygen sat went from 98% to 88% respectively.

Forgot to add, the reason I did this was because I was hoping to be able to get off the machine, but alas, it looks like I just need that small amount of support. Doc said, the apnea is 'MOSTLY' positional, but I still need it.
So last night I went back to get titrated with and without again, and my numbers on 4 pressure was 0.3, so 4 is my number, which is verified by my own experience with Sleepy Head, they give me pretty much the same read out.

The Tech was blown away with the absence of leaks with the P10 mask, she had never used it, but is going to check into it, so anyone thinking about this mask, she was a big fan, but it might not work for everyone.

I have to meet with the sleep doc in a few weeks when he gets the report, but wanted to pass this on to you. My doctor was willing to let me control the situation with sleeping on my side, which is great, that makes me happy that he takes my feelings into account.

The reason I had this done again was to see if I could get off the cpap because of the low numbers and low pressure, but even though it's "mostly positional apnea" I still need the small amount of support. wish it were otherwise, but that's ok. at least, I know now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Positional Apnea, results from sleep study
Many of us have worst obstructive apnea sleeping on our backs; and fewer events sleeping on the side.
Some folks rig up devices, like tennis balls sewn into the back of a night shirt to keep them off their back.
I have no idea what a swimmie is?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 12:03 PM)justMongo Wrote: Many of us have worst obstructive apnea sleeping on our backs; and fewer events sleeping on the side.
Some folks rig up devices, like tennis balls sewn into the back of a night shirt to keep them off their back.
I have no idea what a swimmie is?

Swimmies are those little floaty things that kids wear on their arms to learn to swim. I found they worked perfectly and were soft, unlike tennis balls.
Post Reply Post Reply
My lab diagnostic showed AHI of only 2.3 on side ('normal'), but >76.0 while supine!

In any event, I try to sleep mostly on my side now, but I still feel lousy unless I am on the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been, what I thought, was an exclusive side sleeper for several years and then found myself on my back more and more often, even with a support thingy to keep me from rolling on my back. The PA told me that inevitably, it catches up with you depending on the cause of your sleep apnea. In addition, side sleeping is now giving me back problems. Oh-jeez I do sympathize with you - you hoped to get off of it.

I'll have to look into the P10, but how's that cloth mask (sleepweaver) working for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Back sleeping is where it's at for one's back. I usually end up on my back anyway. Looks like CPAP for me forever, or at least until I die, that's ok, I am lucky that I feel so young again after a restful night's sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2015, 04:27 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I've been, what I thought, was an exclusive side sleeper for several years and then found myself on my back more and more often, even with a support thingy to keep me from rolling on my back. The PA told me that inevitably, it catches up with you depending on the cause of your sleep apnea. In addition, side sleeping is now giving me back problems. Oh-jeez I do sympathize with you - you hoped to get off of it.

I'll have to look into the P10, but how's that cloth mask (sleepweaver) working for you?

Sleep Weaver was good, but it felt "hot" like there was too much on my face. I am so claustrophobic and the best mask for me has been the P10

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marnid2014,
Good to hear from you again and it's good that you found out what was going on at your sleep study with your apnea.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 249 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 80 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 537 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 359 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 136 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 619 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 296 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.