Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Insurance payment for replacement CPAP
Insurance payment for replacement CPAP
How often will insurance/Medicare pay their % for a replacement machine?
Sorry if this has been asked, but I did a search and got no results.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Insurance payment for replacement CPAP
I believe it's 5 years.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is 5 years BUT the supplier will not replace if it is only to get an upgrade or newer machine.  I tried and so did my wife (mine 5yo wife 7yo) and were told both times if the machine was working we could not have a replacement.  They mentioned they could replace it if it had water damage or had been dropped or not working right.  So I bought one got a RX from the doctor with the name and model of the machine and turned it into the insurance for durable equipment.  I was paid for it from my regular insurance.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Doug,
In the last year, I requested a replacement for my (working) Resmed S9 Autoset, with about 16,000 run hours (about 6.5 years).  My Primary Care Dr. wrote the Rx, and the S9 was replaced with an Airsense 10 Auto unit.  From the DME, I understand that this is on a 13-month rent-to-own program thru Medicare, and my supplemental insurance is paying the rest of the cost..  I have read posts where others have said that the machine to be replaced must be broken, but this was not my experience.  I have retired the S9 to backup duty.  It is comforting to have a spare if something happens to my main machine.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish that was my case, my wife’s has 24,000+ hours and she was just last week denied through Medicare our regular insurance oked it but Medicare has denied it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a 5 year old Respironics 560 with high hours--100% compliance on it except for 10 in the hospital during that time on their machine. Had been doing well then started having problems with my AHI going up. Tried everything I had read here and nothing helped. Went to my sleep doctor and aid it's almost like it isn't working right. He agreed and I had my new Resmed Airsense 10 almost exactly 5 years from the date I got my old machine. No problems with a new DME getting the OK from Medicare. This was September 2020. My AHI is down below 1.0 now most every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacy, is it getting louder, are you hearing a little bit of bearing screeching? I don't know but this commonly happens to older machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither were having pro. I wanted to go from a dreamstation to a VAUTO 5 yo. I just paid for it out of pocket and my insurance reimbursement was given for durable equipment. (I purchased from Supplier #2 on the suppliers list - used)

My wife has a brick (machine with no data) 7 years old - nothing wrong - it was denied by Medicare. I did not want to lie about having problems so when they asked IF there was a problem I told them no but we wanted an up to date machine with data. Rejected by Medicare.
Post Reply Post Reply
your doctor's nurse should be able to care of it. the doctor needs to know how to write a convincing prescription, and the nurse should have a good relationship with the dme to put it thru. if you don't have this you should find a new doctor and/or dme.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
WELL I just got a call from my provider and they resubmitted my wife’s request again and she gets her machine Thursday. I don’t kno what was it they did differently but we were denied now we are ok. It was a 7 year old machine and had no data. She was prescribed a 10s autoset for her. Now we will see what we get.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,825 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,901 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.