Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

110% truly fed up!!!
RE: 110% truly fed up!!!
David,
Try to make changes concerning daily habits.  I used to wake up consistently at 3am, so I know it can be frustrating.  A couple articles here may help.  Try to adopt some small changes in your routine.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Sleep_hygiene

From the National Sleep Foundation

What is sleep hygiene?
Sleep hygiene is a variety of different practices and habits that are necessary to have good nighttime sleep quality and full daytime alertness.

Why is it important to practice good sleep hygiene?
Obtaining healthy sleep is important for both physical and mental health. It can also improve productivity and overall quality of life. Everyone, from children to older adults, can benefit from practicing good sleep habits.

How can I improve my sleep hygiene?
One of the most important sleep hygiene practices is to spend an appropriate amount of time asleep in bed, not too little or too excessive. Sleep needs vary across ages and are especially impacted by lifestyle and health. However, there are recommendations that can provide guidance on how much sleep you need generally. Other good sleep hygiene practices include:

Limiting daytime naps to 30 minutes. Napping does not make up for inadequate nighttime sleep. However, a short nap of 20-30 minutes can help to improve mood, alertness and performance.

Avoiding stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine close to bedtime. And when it comes to alcohol, moderation is key4. While alcohol is well-known to help you fall asleep faster, too much close to bedtime can disrupt sleep in the second half of the night as the body begins to process the alcohol.  

Exercising to promote good quality sleep. As little as 10 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as walking or cycling, can drastically improve nighttime sleep quality.  For the best night’s sleep, most people should avoid strenuous workouts close to bedtime. However, the effect of intense nighttime exercise on sleep differs from person to person, so find out what works best for you.  

Steering clear of food that can be disruptive right before sleep.  Heavy or rich foods, fatty or fried meals, spicy dishes, citrus fruits, and carbonated drinks can trigger indigestion for some people. When this occurs close to bedtime, it can lead to painful heartburn that disrupts sleep.

Ensuring adequate exposure to natural light. This is particularly important for individuals who may not venture outside frequently. Exposure to sunlight during the day, as well as darkness at night, helps to maintain a healthy sleep-wake cycle.

Establishing a regular relaxing bedtime routine.  A regular nightly routine helps the body recognize that it is bedtime. This could include taking warm shower or bath, reading a book, or light stretches. When possible, try to avoid emotionally upsetting conversations and activities before attempting to sleep.

Making sure that the sleep environment is pleasant. Mattress and pillows should be comfortable. The bedroom should be cool – between 60 and 67 degrees – for optimal sleep. Bright light from lamps, cell phone and TV screens can make it difficult to fall asleep4, so turn those light off or adjust them when possible. Consider using blackout curtains, eye shades, ear plugs, "white noise" machines, humidifiers, fans and other devices that can make the bedroom more relaxing.

What are signs of poor sleep hygiene?
Frequent sleep disturbances and daytime sleepiness are the most telling signs of poor sleep hygiene. In addition, if you're taking too long to fall asleep, you should consider evaluating your sleep routine and revising your bedtime habits. Just a few simple changes can make the difference between a good night’s sleep and night spent tossing and turning.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2020, 11:40 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Your cpap is under control. You need to figure out what other issues are affecting your sleep (insomnia etc) and how to better deal with them.

Naps, inconsistent sleep time, cold room. Just a few things that are poor sleep hygiene that may be affecting your sleep cycle.

This.

From everything I've read, ideal room temp for sleep is about 18 or so Celsius (65 Fahrenheit), which most people consider cool. But you seem to be sleeping in an icebox.

You might read up on CBTi therapy, to understand the principle.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all your replies. Firstly what’s CBTi therapy? I’ve heard of CBT before.

I’m worried I might have a further underlying sleep issue along with my sleep apnea as I have restless legs, can kick out in my sleep, very vivid dreams and sweat like mad during the night. I initially had it down to the medication I was on for my mood disorder however my psych changed that to a time release medication to prevent it interfering with sleep.

My concern is REM sleep behaviour disorder as it’s linked to Parkinson’s which is in my family!
Post Reply Post Reply
The "i" in CBTi is for insomnia.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are wondering about limb movements or rem sleep behavior disorder etc you can check that at home by video taping yourself sleep. Either get or make an infrared camera or do what I did and wear a blindfold with lights on then you can use any camera as long as it will record long enough. I used a webcam I had kicking around.

CBTi is very similar to following good sleep hygiene principals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Myself, I prefer a cool room when I sleep. My wife prefers it to be a bit warmer than I do. We find that happy medium and seem to be okay. 

During the summer, I tend to sleep on top of the bed w/o any covers on me. We don't like to run the a/c during the night, and the elevation at which we live, cools down nicely once the sun goes down. 

Most people though, do seem to sleep better when the room is on the cool side. At least that's what I've read and heard.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a CPAP for 5 years but was never during that time " all in ". I was "part in"  ( maybe 25% in ) and unwilling to spend the time , money ,and  focus to make  true  go forward steps  .

Maybe you are all in ,but I would hazard to offer that most CPAP  users are not - until they see their entire health slipping away . When there is never  a day of refreshing  sleep where you can actually  look  other persons  full in the eye without weariness, nor dance a jig that you at one time could  master .

That you are on this form does speak much for the interest to get this done .

Good luck .

pk
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.