Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

2 Months on CPAP, Need Advice on Lowering AHI
2 Months on CPAP, Need Advice on Lowering AHI
Hi All!

Brief Introduction: I have been on CPAP therapy for 2 months now with my nightly AHIs ranging from 5 to 11. I am still suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness, sleeping anywhere from 14 to 20 hours a day. 

Now for more background information,

Please let me know if i need to upload any more images / make changes to this post. Thank you so much for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2 Months on CPAP, Need Advice on Lowering AHI
Apologies, accidentally posted the post before it was complete - will be updating soon. Sorry for the hassle!
Post Reply Post Reply
[Actual Post] 2 Months on CPAP, Need Advice on Lowering AHI
Apologies, the time limit for the edit button was passed before I was able to formulate my post / resize my images down. Now for the full information and background.

Tl;dr: I have been on CPAP therapy for 2 months now with my nightly AHIs ranging from 5 to 11. I am still suffering from excessive daytime sleepiness / fatigue, sleeping anywhere from 14 to 20 hours a day – I only have a clear head for 2-6 hours on an ideal day. Therefore, I would love to get some advice on fixing this problem if possible.

Now for more background information: I am a graduate student with a normal BMI and with no known risk factors for OSA. I have had ESD for about 3 years now and have gone/referred to many doctors (note: not sleep doctors) with no luck in figuring anything out. 2.5 months ago I finally was referred to a sleep doctor, took an at home sleep test, and with diagnosed with OSA with an AHI of 14. I started the CPAP therapy 2 months ago and try to wear it for at least 6+ hours a day. Unfortunately, I feel no improvements. My sleep doctor has stated that an AHI below 10 is good, but I am having doubts after doing research on this forum and others websites/papers. I was also recommended to take caffeine pills which have unfortunately not helped, I still sometimes fall asleep soon after taking them. I still have a month and a half until my next appointment, which unfortunately takes place after some upcoming time critical events. I would love to get this solved as soon as possible for it is seriously affecting my ability to do research, classes, and PhD application preparation.

Please let me know if I need to upload any more images / make changes to this post. I uploaded images of OSCAR data from the past 3 days. Thank you so much for the help!  Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

A couple of changes
set min pressure = 8 to help reduce hypopneas
turn off Flex to minimize Central Apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi!

Thank you so much for your advice! Last night I had my lowest AHI score since starting CPAP (3.8)! Very excited and hope for more improvement!
Once again, thank you.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Post your nightly chart, and while I am very happy for your success, please critically state how you feel. That becomes more important as your numbers get lower.
So what are your symptoms.

Do note that central apnea behaves in a consistent manner, we call it consistently inconsistent. The changes above didn't treat your central apnea, we avoided it at the potential of increasing other forms of apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 371 9 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 161 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.